Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Apr 24, 2004, 11:43 PM   #1

Default Another Tree muahah

Mine isn't as cool. I'm sure you could have all done the tree justice, I was really disappointed with all of my pics from that day. 4 inches of fresh, white, fluffy snow, and zero good pictures.
discodudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2004, 11:44 PM   #2

Drrrrrr...... Adding the link just may be a good idea! :idea:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...23213286tXHHka

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...23208082CwnJLt
Old Apr 25, 2004, 9:24 AM   #3

discodudette,

Don't despair! The snow looks a dull blue/grey because it's under-exposed. Try using +1 to +1.5 stops of exposure compensation for snow scenes. Failing that, a little work in your photo editor can work wonders. I ran your pics through Paintshop Pro's one-step photo-fix (all of 5 seconds). Here are the results:

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2004, 9:49 AM   #4

Very nice, discodudette

I especially like the second one where you have wonderfully captured the fluffiness, almost weightless look to the
fresh fallen snow.

A nod too to Fenlander for enhancing the photos
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2004, 9:58 AM   #5

thanks both of you for your responses! You are both very helpful, and I thoroughly appreciate it!
Old Apr 25, 2004, 10:42 AM   #6

discoduette,
It almost makes me want to love snow.
Great fix also.
Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 7:38 AM   #7
dlw

fendlander, I'm really new to this and spent all day yesterday taking pictures of "blue" snow. Could you explain exactly what you mean by adding +1 to +1.5 stops of exposure? Thanks for any help you can provide!
dlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 10:42 AM   #8

Adding exposure means just that, either using the ev-comp setting or manually changing the exposure to overexpose the scene by 1 or 1.5 stops. Sometimes even 2 stops may be needed.

This works on any scene with large bright reflective areas like snow, sand/beach where the scene will cause the camera to underexpose to try to make everything look 18% gray.

Remember that all camera meters are trying to arrive at an exposure that will make the portion of the scene they are measuring 18% gray.

The reverse is also true, in dark scenes you have to remove exposure (underexpose) to bring the dark areas back from the 18% gray the meter was trying to make the scene look.

The blue in your snow is caused by the white snow picking up the color of the sky(even if it is overcast, on overcast days the color temperature of the light goes very blue).It is not an exposure issue. It is correctableby adding an 81A or 81B filterto your lens, or later on by adjustments in photoshop cs.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 1:51 AM   #9

Oh, love snow?? Good thing you quailified that remark with ALMOST. I think DD has you befuddled. How goes the school experience, DD? My young lad who is about your age, has two finals to write in the next couple of days, then this semester is over for them, and he has about two weeks off. He peeks in over my shoulder from time to time, so if you reply be sure to emphasize how studious habits make better equestrians. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 8:58 PM   #10

Hmmmm! Love snow??? Shovel a couple tons of it every winter for 30+ years and the romance is over. Lovely pictures though.

scottie
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote