Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jun 1, 2004, 3:15 PM   #1

Well I haven't been on here as much as I once was but now that school is done once again for the year I hope to be here alot more. On the 27th I received a email that simply made what had been an amazing week much better. It was confirmation that a picture I entered in the photo of the day contest had made it....I think about the 3rd or 4th I had entered.:-)

This was taken on April 26th and turned out to be the scariest picture I have taken. The reason being is much like the name implies flowering ledge I found this flower on an outcropping of rock about 5' down from the edge of about a 150' cliff. So off came everything I didn't need like my backpack and jacket and down I went. I lay on my side and started to take a few shots with the camera around my neck when all of a sudden whatever I was laying across gave way and I was sliding. I dropped the camera and started to grab whatever I could to stop my plunge to certain injury off the side. With 1 leg out in mid air, 2 hands dug into the rocks and a leg wedged into a crack in the rock I came to a stop. Up I climbed to a more stable possition were I had my feet wedged nicely to prevent another slide and I continued to shoot. This picture is actually the one I took just before the slide, all the others after just didn't seem to look right....maybe something to do with the hand shake.:-)I'm very thankful that I did have the lense adapter as well as a filter on the camera. While I was sliding I heard my camera ping a couple times off the rocks. Thank you Oly for building a tough camera in the c750uz!:love:

p.s. I also didn't know if this should be posted in the landscape or closeups.... so here it is.
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2004, 3:50 PM   #2

What a gorgeous photo! You should be mightily proud of yourself for winning photo of the day. You should also remember that photography is an extremely hazardous occupation.

Reading your description of your near fall put me back in time to a very similar experience, though it was gravel that sent me to within just one inch of going over a cliff. I would definitely have gone over had I not been with my big, strapping cousin who grabbed me in the nick of time.

I hope you realize how lucky you were. Now, of course, it's just fine because you have a tale to tell.:-)
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 3:52 PM   #3

Great photo. Have you ever considered abseilling. It might be a good idea if you're thinking of going over cliffs again. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 11:23 PM   #4

That is a great picture. I don't know if it's worth falling off a cliff for, but it is a great shot!
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 7:42 PM   #5

Great pic and congrats on photo of the day! Wish I could take pictures good enough to get on photo of the day! And good story, too! Scary but definately worth it!

how are you off school already? I start duh duh du.... :evil:Exams tomorrow.... icky
discodudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 8:07 PM   #6

Your picture actually makes me what to back away from the cliff. Did I mention Im scared of heights? Actually, heights don't bother me when Im strapped in 300 bungee cords, enclosed by a steel cage with 10 feet of cushion within it... Then Im perfectly fine! Haha, its actually the fear of falling that bothers me. But when I look at this picture, it seems like im there and im already freaking out! ......Can you tell?

Haha, very nice picture though! So clear and the point of focus is so perfectly layed out. Great job! And CONGRATS!
Jenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 1:20 AM   #7

Thanks for the kind words everyone!:-)Actually im very afraid of heights to be honest. You won't see me climbing up any ladders much past a height thats not safe to jump from and land without injury. I really don't think I was doing alot of thinking when I made my way down to take that shot...I was just stuck in a moment and knew I had to snap a couple pictures of this nice little flower just sitting by itself on an outcropping. It was just really weird.....I was walking around looking for potential pano-shot views and looked down and here was this perfect little flower just sitting there soaking up as much sunshine as it could. I must have stared at it for 5 minutes. I figure anything that catches my attention for that long and keeps I need to take a picture of. :idea: I guess its a case of letting the photo op findingyou raither than looking for a photo op....or something like that...:?

discodudette: I actually wrote my last exam the first week of May.... this is university however so thatmight be why it seems so earily.

tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 6:52 AM   #8

It is a great photo and story. Is your lifeinsurance paid?
chuck biddinger is offline   Reply With Quote