Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jun 29, 2004, 9:52 AM   #1

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2004, 10:50 AM   #2

Spectacular scenery, Eric. I used to backpack in the Bitteroot Mtns of eastern Idaho and western Oregon but I haven't been to the areas around Boise (if that is where these mountains pictured were close to).

The pictures seem to suffer a little bit from haze with an overall dulling effect. If you don't mind, I played around with one of your pictures using some techniques that I was reading about in this thread:

Reducing Haze in Landscape Shots

Here's one of many results:

Attached Images

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 10:59 AM   #3

geoffs,

This is on the S fork of the Salmon River on the edge of the wilderness.

I like your rendition. Very nice and clear.

I have a couple of issues I am fighting for the resolution. One is a 2mp camera and the other is that I am exposure challenged. When I lighten them up so they look better they seem overexposed and when I darken them down the colors don't show through and they don't seem as clear. My photography skills are definitely a work in progress.

Really appreciate you taking a minute to give me feedback, every little bit helps.

Old Jun 29, 2004, 11:33 AM   #4

zoomn wrote:
Quote:
This is on the S fork of the Salmon River on the edge of the wilderness.
I've never been to that area but I hope to get there one day.

Quote:
I have a couple of issues I am fighting for the resolution. One is a 2mp camera and the other is that I am exposure challenged. When I lighten them up so they look better they seem overexposed and when I darken them down the colors don't show through and they don't seem as clear. My photography skills are definitely a work in progress.
As your photos are witness to, you can still take some surprising pictures with a 2mp camera. My 8mp camera allows me to take photos and still get cropped photos with decent resolution but exposure (and focus) problems are ever present. I believe that getting good exposures is a combination of knowing your camera and gaining experience and understanding in the principles of photography.

Like you, my photography skills are a work in progress (as is almost everything else in my life).

Some post-processing techniques that I've been playing with that help with exposure problems is lightening only the areas of the image that need lightening and darkening only the areas that need darkening. I use selection areas and layers to do this. It's easy to get an okresult but difficult to get spot on results, but I'm trying.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 11:40 AM   #5

Geoffs,

The processing programs with layers seem to be the way to go.

I don't have one of those either.

Any editing I do impacts the whole picture. As you were talking about that hardly ever works.

Oh Well! It is a blast getting out and taking lots of pictures and fooling with them.

My pictures look great on my computer screen at home full screen. Then after compressing to size and posting they really lose a lot in the translation. Wish there was some way to get the photos that come out of my camera to look the same after posting as they do on my computer screen right out of the camera.