Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jul 19, 2004, 5:59 PM   #1

Mt Hood with the sun just above the mountain, approaching sunset. My exposure lock doesn't appear to have locked, but the variance is not awful.

mactek
Attached Images

mactek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2004, 7:05 PM   #2

You continually take great photos! If you don't mind my being nosy, have you ever taken any photography courses? Not that such courses can teach a person how to spot a great picture...

--Barbara
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 8:23 PM   #3

Quote:
You continually take great photos! If you don't mind my being nosy, have you ever taken any photography courses? Not that such courses can teach a person how to spot a great picture...
Thanks, Barbara
The feedback from this forum has encouraged me to try more experimentation.
I have never taken a photography course. I have only a vague idea of what f-stops and aperture do. I know the affect they have and manipulate them to get a result I like. I understand depth of field, but don't really know how to alter it, except by experimenting. Even though I don't really understand the settings, I don't use the automatic mode of my camera because the photos all come out flat and static, in my opinion.
I just know what I like looking at and want to photograph it so I can remember it later...and share it, of course! :-)

mactek
Old Jul 19, 2004, 10:43 PM   #4

GREAT JOB!!! Being a 'newbie' myself, I don't know what an exposure lock is, but I can't tell what difference it made. All I know is, it's a real good photo. Well done.

Dave...
DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 6:03 PM   #5

mactek wrote:
Quote:
I just know what I like looking at and want to photograph it so I can remember it later
Anyone can learn the technical side of photography, but knowing how to push buttons and turn dials doesn't ensure being able to take anything greater than snapshots. I've seen horrible pictures from a photography instructor and beautiful pictures from an amateur with a Kodak cheapie. You've a great eye that yousimply must have been born with. Mother an artist? Father an artist? Grandparents? It does tend to run in families.

--Barbara
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 6:21 PM   #6

Great shot! Where'd you shoot that from? I have been to the East side of Mt. Hood many times and never saw a view like that.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 11:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Where'd you shoot that from? I have been to the East side of Mt. Hood many times and never saw a view like that.
Lookout Mountain
44 15' 00"
120 15' 00"

Hwy 35 south from Hood River, pass the road to Parkdale, then left at the signpost which is just little way past the Sherwood Campground. The sign says "Lookout Mt" along with a couple of other destinations I forget the names of... This is a paved road. you make a right at the first gravel road you come to and follow it to the top. Stop at the end. You will see a walking trail that takes you to the summit. It's a steep and long walk, but puts you about 6500 feet up overlooking the dropoff into the Eastern Oregon desert. The photo above is what you see looking West
This is what you see looking East.

mactek
Attached Images