Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jul 29, 2004, 8:39 AM   #1

I'll be heading off to the Lake District and hope to get some nice shots. Might even see a horizon-sunset, something you just don't get in London. Anyway, I will probably have a Canon S500 with me, so no aperture settings. But what are the best settings (ISO, shutter-speed, white-balance) for sunsets and those blurred waterfalls.

I have yet to buy the camera, so if someone can make a strong case for needing aperture control, then I might decide on the A80 instead. Comments welcome.

Saracen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2004, 10:01 AM   #2

Well everyone, I settled on an A80 eventually, after a 2-day spell with an S410. So, I'm asking the same question again, only you can now include shutter and aperture info too.

1. What settings for blurred waterfalls?
2. What settings (inc white-balance) for sunsets?
3. Any tips for panoramas (shot at telephoto?)...

Thanks.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 11:28 AM   #3

Saracen wrote:
Quote:
Well everyone, I settled on an A80 eventually, after a 2-day spell with an S410. So, I'm asking the same question again, only you can now include shutter and aperture info too.

1. What settings for blurred waterfalls?
2. What settings (inc white-balance) for sunsets?
3. Any tips for panoramas (shot at telephoto?)...

Thanks.

Slower shutter speeds (experiment with speeds from 1/15 sec to 2-3 seconds)will give you blurred water (Tripod is a MUST)

I'll defer the WB question as I shoot in RAW mode and set WB during processing

Panoramas again require a tripod.

2 out of 3 things point to a tripod. Do you have one?
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 11:35 AM   #4

Well I bought a mini tripod, but they are useless for panning, as they don't have rotating heads. But will see if I can come across something small.

Thanks.

Anyone else have tips?
Old Aug 2, 2004, 3:01 PM   #5

I like to set the WB on "cloudy" for sunsets...it warms the colors up considerably. Let the sun get about half way below the horizon before shooting and continue until it is dark. Set the exposure for the blue sky and lock,then lower the camera and compose and shoot. This will silhouette the foreground and capture all of the hot colors, as well as allow a higher shutter speed for less blur. Shoot the same scene at different zoom levels for varied perspectives. Above all else, have fun. Last week, I was in Sedona, AZ and the Grand Canyon, and caught some nice sunsets that I'll be posting when I get home, but here's one example that I got using the techniques above.

Attached Images

derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote