Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Sep 25, 2002, 2:08 PM   #1

Default Moon Rise Over Lake Powell

Drove into Utah 27 miles in 4WD vehicle. It took almost 2 hours each way, but what a view. Navajo Mountain in the background. Not much done in PS yet.

[Edited on 9-30-2002 by scorpio_fish]
scorpio_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2002, 6:19 AM   #2

Looks like a fine pics, if you did some more work with it. However the moon (?) looks like a bad manipulation...IF it is, you could use the render/light options in photoshop instead! Just an friendly advice!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2002, 2:09 PM   #3

I tried to do some tweaking. Any sharpening seemed to give the moon a dark halo. I tried to get the halo out in Photoshop with only modest success. I'm still a novice in PS.
scorpio_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2002, 4:48 PM   #4

i find nothing really wrong with this image. remember it is a photograph. a slice of time. there are many things PS can do. a lot of people do too much and turn a good photo into bad artwork.

what you can do is bracket your shots to start. you might want to take 3 to 6 shots over a range of 1-2 stops and see what you get. for that long a ride in shoot shoot shoot.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2002, 5:16 PM   #5

http://www.pbase.com/image/5350131

Some people would think that this was a little overdone - I agree - but then again - its a matter of taste - and time used.

To my old buddy (not sure you agree there!) SJMS:

Photoshop, PSP, Polfilter, skyfilter...remember your own words when you turn your polfilter the next time.
I agree that you can overdo things, but when you do that - some would call it digiart!
Old Oct 1, 2002, 10:18 AM   #6

here Klaus DK

when good PS projects go bad

http://www.pbase.com/image/5382137
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2002, 10:32 AM   #7

Yes, its really bad...I don't like it SJMS. But still some would! Digiartfanatics maybe ?

But you must admit that taking photos most of the time is a manipulation of the moment. It's very difficult to tell the truth using a photo. That's why I think it always will be a matter of taste, when using colors, filters, whatever - as you so nicely stated with your photo.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 1:33 PM   #8

nice shot in capturing the full moon and the blue mood of the moment.
Unfortunately, shooting at these late times in the day with whatever available light hits every single dust particle floating in the atmosphere. Perhaps using a polarizer would have helped to kill off the haze and punch out the colors more.
pixrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 3:24 PM   #9

Very nice photo. Continue to try working with photoshop. The reward will be worth the effort. Rule 1: Do not work on the original photo only edit on copies of the original. Rule 2: Try anything and everything on the copies but document what you are doing.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote