Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Sep 29, 2002, 4:00 PM   #1

Default NYC from N. Bergen, NJ with D60 & 28-135

Conditions were horrible, and the doorman was yelling for me to leave the parking lot where I got this view. The haze was heavy and as I turned more south the sun made it worse. I used f11 at 135mm, and focused in a hurry.

Processing was with Canon's Photo Panoramas, from their Photo Advanced suite that I got for $20! (PhotoStitch left visible seams.)

Post processing: PS7's AutoColor, Neat Image to lose the noise, PS7's Lab Mode for Unsharp Masking.

A little motorboat just kept up with my shooting rhythm for 3 frames, so there are three motor boats in a convoy! (I suppose I should clone 2 of them out.)

The scene is the Hudson, from about 72nd Street in the north, to the Verazzano Bridge, barely visible in the south in the haze. At 135mm, this took 16 shots, rotating 5% each time.

[Edited on 9-29-2002 by WalterK]
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2002, 5:17 PM   #2

Wow! That's an incredible picture, the detail is fantastic. You can really see how much the West Side has exploded over the last few years, too.
MikeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2002, 5:55 PM   #3

Yep, the West Side has really grown, and Mr Trump has cast his shadow over much of it.

But West Street and the cleanup of the old docks is a big improvement.
Old Sep 30, 2002, 9:46 AM   #4
IOU

VERY NICE!!
IOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2002, 3:49 PM   #5

Default You're Famous

I don't know if you're aware of this post, but things sure spread fast over the web!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...&threadid=3812
MikeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2002, 5:20 PM   #6

Walther! That's a fantastic foto. I've never seen NY from that view - just fantastic. I can see you had a tough job stiching and cloning. Nice done.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2002, 6:00 PM   #7

Mike: thanks for telling me about this. I never gave anybody permission to use my image, much less without crediting me or saying where they got it. I posted a response on that website. By the way, it is a great website!

Klaus:
Hi! Thanks for the compliment.. I almost did not stitch it, thinking there were too many problems in it. I'm glad I did.
Old Oct 2, 2002, 9:06 PM   #8

Walter - you're still the master of the panorama. Beautiful. I couldn't get over all of the detail that your captured, and,,,, I kind of liked the small boat convoy!
Ward Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2002, 6:08 PM   #9

Hi, Ward, and thanks for the kind remarks. I can't take credit for the detail in the image. I gotta admit that the D60's 6mp has at least a little to do with that In addition, Mr Trump and the other architects who built the skyline were nice enough to put lots of windows and stuff in.

My only problem with this stuff is that I want to make prints from it, and if I make the height enough to show the detail (say, 8 inches,) the width goes up to 60 or so inches. Where on earth would I put it?

Changing the subject, Ward...How much would you take for that hat? It's great!
Old Oct 3, 2002, 9:45 PM   #10

Walter - you are too modest. I intended for my compliment to acknowledge your technical accomplishment. Nary a sign of stitching! Totally flat. No indication of panoramic meddling except for the "convoy" and you had to let us know that this was the same boat. The folks from the website where you "stolen" image was posted were also appropriately appreciative. By the way, you were much nicer to that guy than I would have been. Very professional, Walter.

Lastly - I paid $19.95 at Wal-Mart. I have to wear it for photos because my CP5000 doesn't have the dynamic range to handle the highlights without it - if you know what I mean, and from looking at your picture I think you could use one of these too!
Ward Larson is offline   Reply With Quote