Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 24, 2004, 9:27 AM   #1

Forgot to add this one to my earlier post.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2004, 10:14 AM   #2

beautiful shot, beautiful place:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 8:16 AM   #3

Thanks for taking a look and for you comment.

It wasa nice peaceful spot.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 4:46 PM   #4

Looks like a neat area to go backpacking into zoomn! The slopes around the lake look very rough with lots of scree slopes. How far did you have to walk to get to this lake? Was the lake stocked with trout (I'm just assuming here that it is too high to support a native fish population)?
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 9:01 AM   #5

Geoffs,we were in 12 miles, this lake was at about 9,000 feet.

Probably no one has been to this lake in years. Off the beaten path for hunters and no trails near here. We had to climb 5,000 feet off trail to get to it.

We saw 3 bears and 18 elk on the trip in. Had a spike elk barking at us for an hour after dark as we tried to go to sleep. Saw some elk up pretty close but they were behind trees or took off too fast to get any photos. All the bears we saw were near dark. My camera has autofocus only so I can't focus through any vegetation. Then it rained all the way out so kept my camera under wraps.

No fish in this lake, it was only about 4 feet deep.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 9:08 AM   #6

Zoomn, you and your friends are quite the adventurers, bushwhacking 5000 feet of altitude to get to this lake! What made you and your friends decide to visit this lake? Just seeing it on a topo map?
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 4:42 PM   #7

geoffs,

The lake wasn't our destination, it just happened to be on the way to where we were going.

I was trying to get some pictures of some of the big elk, bear and mule deer that we know inhabit the area. Plus it is just fun to get out and see country where nobody goes. We were on the S fork of the Salmon River adjacent to the wilderness area. One of the few places in the country that is regressing instead of progressing.

There used to be homesteads along the river and a road with bridges. Now there is nothing left but a few orchards (which attracts the bears) and some old wooden structures. The road and bridges have all been washed out by spring floods. Nobody has lived down there for 20 years.

I got some nice scenery shots on the trip but no good large animal shots. One of these days.