Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 25, 2004, 11:53 PM   #1

This is yet another image gleaned from my transparency digitizing project.

I took this picture in 1972 while on my first backpacking trip in the Adirondacks in northern New York State. My memory is lacking but the area around Roaring Brook Falls seems to strike a familiar note, in case anyone reading this is familiar with the High Peaks area.

Beseler Topcon SuperD, 50mm f/1.8, Ektachrome, scanned using a Nikon Coolscan V ED, levels, saturation, USM, NR using NeatImage.

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2004, 9:17 AM   #2

I think that if it was not for the purple stuff at the bottom left of the photo, it would be a good shot.

PS. Can you tell me about your avatar photo????
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 11:21 AM   #3

Hi Julie - purple stuff? My monitor must be calibrated differently. It is dark in the LLC but I don't see lots of purple.The picture is a bit faded, being 32 years old, and didn't come through the scanning process all that well. Oh well, I tried...

My avatar - I might have mentioned this before on a different thread... The avatar picture is a frame from a scene in the movie "To Hell and Back" starring Audie Murphy, the most decorated US soldier in WWII. He played himself in the movie. The person in my avatar is not Audie Murphy, though. This was one of the soldiers in Murphy's platoon, a guy named Kovacs. The actor playing Kovacs was my uncle, Richard Castle. The movie was filmed in 1955, btw.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 8:01 PM   #4

I thought he looked familiar but Ive never seen the film.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 9:03 AM   #5

Geoffs:

Curious about your slide scanning project. I have a gazillion slides from the years I lived in Europe and would like to eventually get them scanned/catalogued/sorted so I can enjoy them again. Looked for a commercial place to do this but too much $$$! Any pointers on a way to start doing this? My current scanner is about 2 years old and doesn't have a way to scan slides so I know at a minimum I will have to buy a new scanner.

Thanks.

BTW, the "purple" shows up on my monitor also.

frontier02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 9:09 AM   #6

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
Hi Julie - purple stuff? My monitor must be calibrated differently. It is dark in the LLC but I don't see lots of purple.The picture is a bit faded, being 32 years old, and didn't come through the scanning process all that well. Oh well, I tried...

My avatar - I might have mentioned this before on a different thread... The avatar picture is a frame from a scene in the movie "To Hell and Back" starring Audie Murphy, the most decorated US soldier in WWII. He played himself in the movie. The person in my avatar is not Audie Murphy, though. This was one of the soldiers in Murphy's platoon, a guy named Kovacs. The actor playing Kovacs was my uncle, Richard Castle. The movie was filmed in 1955, btw.

Hope you dont mind but I wanted to show you where I am seeing the purple. I have outlined the patches in red

Old Aug 27, 2004, 9:23 AM   #7

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
Hope you dont mind but I wanted to show you where I am seeing the purple. I have outlined the patches in red
That's really interesting Julie! I'm not seeing that at all on my monitor. If it's my monitor that is off (and not yours) it is really scarey because it means that what I am posting is not being viewed by others as I see it!!! I could be posting awful looking stuff...

Alright, I am going to calibrate my monitor. After that, if it's still not apparent to me then I'll tell you that you need to calibrate yours :?

Thanks!
Old Aug 27, 2004, 9:30 AM   #8

We have two computers, I just got hubby to check on the brand new one and although not as noticeable there is a purple tinge in those areas Ive marked.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 9:40 AM   #9

frontier02 wrote:
Quote:
Curious about your slide scanning project. I have a gazillion slides from the years I lived in Europe and would like to eventually get them scanned/catalogued/sorted so I can enjoy them again.
frontier02 - I've bought 3 different film scanners in the last 2 years and returned the first 2 back as I didn't like the quality of scan they producted (they were both Minoltas).

This last scanner I bought was a Nikon Coolscan V ED. I like it very much but the machine developed a problem after just 4 days of use. I had to ship it back for an exchange but just found out yesterday that instead of getting a new one shipped back to me, BHPhoto just credited my charge card (because they were out of stock on that scanner). So, I am scannerless again. I'll have to wait until they have more stock and then reorder. Very frustrating.

BTW, the Coolscan V ED gives you most of the capability of the more expensive Coolscan 5000, but for only $600 instead of $1100.

No matter how you cut it, digitizing a slide collection is a labor of love and will take many months and lots of DVDs (for archiving). I think it is worth it in the end because many of my slides are starting to disintegrate.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 9:42 AM   #10

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
We have two computers, I just got hubby to check on the brand new one and although not as noticeable there is a purple tinge in those areas Ive marked.
Julie, here's one (probable) obvious difference in how your monitor is setup versus how mine is setup... I'll bet that your monitors are set so that their color temperature is the cooler 9300k which shows things up bluer. My monitor has been calibrated at a color temperature of 6500k which is warmer and show things up more to the yellow end of the spectrum. Supposedly, the warmer temperature setting is what your monitor is supposed to be set to if you are doing image proofing (as we are). But, I'm going to check into this a little more...