Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 31, 2004, 8:56 PM   #31

too lazy to turn on my own computer:-)
matt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 9:04 PM   #32

Hi Matt - John is probably getting his shuteye right about now, but I know that he's tried both methods... Insert Image and direct upload via the Browse... button. Neither method works for him. He's got a very subtle problem which neither I nor Ferny have been able to figure out...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 4:28 AM   #33

Geoffs, ya did not read the posts above properly, it's julie (aladyforty) who posted, not matt:-)I just happened to be on my hubbys computer and was too lazy to sign in as myself. Anyways hope he gets the problem sorted out:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 6:19 AM   #34

Goodmorning all !

Right, back to the challenge. Perhaps I have misunderstood you Geoffs, but I haven't tried posting using the Insert Image button. I will give the lady's suggestion a try, but

matt40 ('s wife !) wrote:
Quote:
click on and enlarge the photo you want to post right click on mouse go to properties and highlight the URL address in properties

where do I find the image to do this clicking and enlarging ? Perhaps this seems a dumb question. If you are referring to Windows Explorer surely the software that opens the image will vary according to what is installed and what programme is linked to that file type. With my set-up this is ACDSee v3.1. Assuming that this is the right way to proceed, right-clicking and then clicking on Properties brings up a three-tabbed window. On the "Image Properties" tab there is a box marked "Path" which I assume is the same as you mean by URL. Am I heading the right way here ?

Well, lets give it a go.

[img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/admin/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Geoffs%20successful%20post.jpg[/img]

I now have the image appear in the window above where I am now typing, which I haven't seen before, so will now press the SEND button.

Heart-stopping moment . . .
pjohnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 6:26 AM   #35

Hey, LOOK AT THAT !!!!!!!

Look Geoffs. Look Ferny. Look FortyLady. Look EVERYONE !!!!!!!!!

Hey Geoffs, just to think that you thought I had already tried this way of doing it !

Will try posting another shortly, but have just been called away.

Thanks all for the help

John C
Old Sep 1, 2004, 7:48 AM   #36

Right, let's try another.

Not a great shot - lacks foreground interest, but I do like the clouds.

[img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/admin/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Olympus/31-8-04/P8310096a.JPG[/img]

BTW, if any of you are wondering what Ferny is rambling on about, the Canariesis the nickname of the Norwich City Football Club. I suppose from his reference to the weekend, when Norwich were beaten 4-1, Ferny himself is an Arsenal supporter !

Well, who cares, I can post pictures :-)
Old Sep 1, 2004, 8:08 AM   #37

Shall I be horrible and nasty?

I can't see your pictures. :sad:
Maybe your host is having an off day. I'll check back in a few hours.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 8:27 AM   #38

who is your host???
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 8:36 AM   #39

This is sort of like that movie, "The Neverending Story", but it's sequel instead, "The Saga Continues...". :-)

Ok, John, if I look on the properties on the pictures you attempted to post to your messages, I see that the url of the images indicates you are trying to insert images using the Insert Images icon that locally reside on your home computer. This won't work! (unless you run an http server on your machine and I'm sure that you don't). FYI, the url of the image is:

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Setting.../P8310096a.JPG

As an aside, I notice that you are running your win2k or winxp machine while logged in as admin (indicated by the path of your image above)? Probably you shouldn't be admin as a matter of course. Create your own user account (that can have admin privileges) and do most of your work from that login name.

To properly use the Insert Image icon, you must be specifying the url of an image which resides on a server that allows for image linking. Ferny indicated a few free image hosting sites that allow linking. Try uploading your pictures to that host. When you browse your images on that host, right-click on the image you want to see appear in your Steve's Forums message and select Properties in the context menu which appears. In the Properties dialog which appears, highlight the URL text field (all of it - only some may be visible and you have to scroll while highlighting), and after the field is highlighted press CTRL-C. This places the URL text on the clipboard. Now, in the message editing window of this forum press the Insert Image icon and in the dialog box that appears left click in the Image URL edit window and then press CTRL-V which then pastes the url text on the clipboard into this edit window. Press OK and you should see the picture appear in your message.

Phew...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 10:59 AM   #40

Well, my excitement didn't last long, did it? You guys certainly know how to burst a chaps little bubble !!

After problems with Fotopic, I am planning to try Photobucket, but must wait another 15 mins until access for registering is allowed (and by then it will be dinner time).

Geoffs said:

As an aside, I notice that you are running your win2k or winxp machine while logged in as admin (indicated by the path of your image above)? Probably you shouldn't be admin as a matter of course. Create your own user account (that can have admin privileges) and do most of your work from that login name.
I think this is a quirk of the way my son-in-law set the system up for me - he set me up as a user called Admin ! In folder C:\Documents and Settings there are accounts for both admin and Administrator as well as All-Users and Dad (which really means Mum!!) I have tried changing the file names but this is not permitted so I have lived with it for 12 months.

Incidentally, another thing that I have thought ofis to try uploading my picture on my son's laptop. Must wait until he gets home, but it is yet another avenue to explore.

My worry now is that having kept you all waiting so long, and built you up to such a pitch of suspense, you're going to think my pictures an incredible anti-climax