Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Sep 8, 2004, 10:31 PM   #1

i took these the same day as the two that got the most comments on,

i thought this tree was so cool, so i tried to compose a couple with the tree in it..

also, i threw some rocks in...for effect....wat do you think? does it work? or was it just a cool trick?

Vito
Attached Images

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2004, 10:33 PM   #2

here ya go..

the roots were very cool..

Vito
Attached Images

Old Sep 8, 2004, 10:36 PM   #3

this one i liked, because it's not the splash, it's the rock trail!

enjoy !

Vito
Attached Images

Old Sep 8, 2004, 10:39 PM   #4

here's a splash...

Vito
Attached Images

Old Sep 8, 2004, 10:53 PM   #5

I love # 1. Great composition, very sharp, and cool tree
# 2 I love as well. The roots are really cool. The roots seem to make my eye's play tug of war with the water though. I'm not sure if having less water would help.
# 3 is cool. I think the stone idea is very creative and it looks cool, but if you handn't said what it was, I'm not sure if I wouldn't have thought of it as a distraction instead. Same for 4.

You pictures are so sharp. What kind of editing do you do to them?
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2004, 11:26 PM   #6

thanks very much for your comments! i appreciate the comments on each one!

i definetely agree about the second one...two points of interest....fighting with each other...

heres wat i did in photoshop

i duplicated the layer twice, and deleted the background layer(so that the lowest layer isn't locked anymore)

then i took the top layer, and added a curves adjustment layer to it....(layers/new adjustment layer/curves) and gave it a small S curve....

then, i applied it, and using the mask that goes with the adjustment layer, i blocked the curves effect on the dark areas and some of the lighter areas, so you could see more detail...

then, i duplicated the bottom layer again (you don't need to duplicate it, you could just move it up to the top, but i duplicate it, just to have it....if i need the original)

and moved it to the top...

and applied high pass sharpening, here's a link that explains wat it is better...but it's amazing.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...arpening.shtml

so basically, i take the top layer (that i just duplicated) and go to filter/other/high pass and set it at "10", then, take that layer, and switch the blending mode to "Hard Light", and then adjust the opacity to your liking...

this is, possibly, the best way to sharpen....in my opinion, and experience...it makes a HUGE difference in the picture, and you could see the effects by hitting the "eye" of that layer, and you could adjust it whenever you need to...(opacity)

so, that's wat i did, i do sharpen after i resize though.....

well...thanks for your comments...i hope this helps!

Vito
Old Sep 10, 2004, 8:01 AM   #7

I like #1 and 2. Good composition and exposure.I like the peaceful mood they both set.

Technically 3 and 4 are good. I just think they lose something asthetically that I can't put my finger on (unless it's that peaceful setting that attracts me to 1 and 2).

Curious about your photoshop work. Maybe I misunderstood, but if you do an adjustment layer for curves then duplicate the layer beneath any adjustment layers and bring it to the top, don't you lose the effects of the adjustment layers? Or do you do a merge visible on the upper layer once you duplicate it?
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 10:03 AM   #8

i see wat you're saying, but that is the highpass layer, which doesn't block off the adjustment layer..

that i know of at least i'll have to look out for that next time...i'm pretty sure it isn't taking away the effects......

i'm glad you like them

i like 3 and 4 because of the timing of throwing the rocks, not so much for the image itself...

well...thanks for looking and commenting!

vito
Old Sep 10, 2004, 2:36 PM   #9

I did experiment by pulling a copy of an unadjusted layer over the top of the adjustment layers and it nullified the effects beneath it.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 2:48 PM   #10

well..the layer that's above is set for "hard light" and has the filter "high pass" used on it...so i don't think it effects it

vito