Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Landscape Photos (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/landscape-photos-15/)
-   -   [Recovered Thread: 35677] (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/landscape-photos/34548-recovered-thread-35677-a.html)

photosbyvito Sep 28, 2004 3:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here's a picture i thought i'd turn b/w...and...in the process, ended up adding noise, adding "stripes", ripping up the edges, then adding text...lol

lol, making the white border at full rez was different from how i normally do (right before saveforweb, so i only have to add 100 pixels...this i had to add 400 pixels lol)

well, wat do you think? i think the effects work...but does the text go with the effects? would you buy a poster with this shot on it? (or a similar picture taken by a professional, but with the same effects?)

thanks for any comments!

Vito

(btw..have this as my background...looks pretty good)

GoCubs Sep 28, 2004 7:21 PM

I like that shot and think I remember it from the first time. I like the ripped borders and frame. I don't think I like the stripes, in the smaller web size it looks like rain and I think the foggy, hazey look would be enough, it probably looks better full sized. The text works fine, but I think the title should go at the top and your name at the bottom. All just my $.02. :blah:

photosbyvito Sep 28, 2004 7:43 PM

hmm...that might be better (text positions)

i was just mimicking the posters i saw in the park....by James Thurston

thanks for your comments!

Vito

aladyforty Sep 28, 2004 9:23 PM

pretty good but I dont know about the stripy effect.

Tom Overton Sep 28, 2004 11:09 PM

Hi Vito,

I don't know if I care where the title or your name go, but I think the spacing should be more balanced. The title is really crammed in whereas your name has lots of white space around it. I've seen lots of prints where they extend the white asymmetrically so that there is more room.

As for the "stripy" stuff, it's pretty much your call. I assume that this is applied as a layer style. I'm sure as well that you tried a lot of different things here, so I really won't second-guess you. But... (isn't there always a "but"?) have you tried a lower opacity for the streaks? Or, even, for a more dramatic effect, emphasize them more. As I said, I'm sure you tried all this before you clicked <save>, so I'm not telling you anything new.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

By the way, this is easily as good as many prints I've seen for sale online or in shops. Shop it around.

photosbyvito Sep 28, 2004 11:16 PM

thanks tom! i appreciate the detailed response :)

hmm....this actually was done, by selecting the picture...inverting the selection

going into quick mask, using a filter in the "Render" section (shooot can't remember the name...)

then going back to normal selection mode, duplicating the picture layer, inverting the selection, selected the the picture layer, deleted it...

then..filled a layer white, slide it under the second picture layer,

maske the full picture layer (with no deleting) and mask it....

i used a brush...i think it was 2500..lol....at an opacity of 19...and let that part slide through...

that's it...

a lot longer than one way i'd now...which would be...using the filter, saving as a brush, than "painting" it on...

well...thanks for your comments!

Vito

choeschen Sep 29, 2004 6:25 PM

I personally don't like the image or at least not in B&W, it just does not grab my attention. Iwould get rid of the streaksand give the titlea bit more roomat the bottom. I do, however, like ripped edges and the font.

RyanH Sep 30, 2004 12:46 AM

Alright Vito, here is my .02.

I like the pic B&W. I think the ripped effect is neat as a web image, but am not sure about an actual poster on the wall or print.

As far as the border, I think it looks very PS'd. IMO, the borderdoesn't seem unique like all of your other work.

photosbyvito Sep 30, 2004 12:49 AM

thanks for all your comments, i appreciate it :)

a question ryan....so i know exactly wat you're saying...

by the border, you mean the white and text right? or are you talking about the edges too?

thanks for your comments! i REALLY appreciate the help!

Vito

choeschen Sep 30, 2004 8:27 AM

Ryan makes a good point. If you plan on printing this out as a poster the PSed ripped edge may look too artificial.