Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Oct 12, 2004, 2:01 PM   #1

I don't have an ND filter. I need to get one, but I don't have a lot of extra money for accessories. So I have to underexpose pics to keep the sky from burning.....often at the expense of detail in the rest of the image. In this case, the match is closer with the reflection.....the trees are dark and shoreline is not discernible. But....the focus is on the mountains and the sky and reflection. I think it's still a good image. What do you think?
Attached Images

ccd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2004, 2:40 PM   #2

Hey, ccd;

I agree, the visible part of the shot is great. (I'm at work now, and my monitor is quite dark) I'm not sure an ND would help here. It would probably just make the whole shot darker, necessitating a larger aperature or longer shutter speed.

One thing you can do to brighten the shot is to use blended exposures, provided you have a fairly steady tripod. Take one shot with the exposure set for the highlights, and another with the exposure set for the shadows. Then open up both shots in Photoshop and blend them... (a little more complicated than that, but you get my drift.) It's pretty easy in some cases, a lot harder in others. I've tried to expose for a full moon andstars, with little success. I'll get the recipe right eventually.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 4:55 PM   #3

hey ccd!

nice shot!

i agree with tom...you can "fake" a ND filter, by taking two shots, and blending them in Photoshop, or paint shop pro...

tough exposure situation...well done

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 8:47 PM   #4

Awesome pic, I want to be there......