Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Oct 12, 2002, 12:24 PM   #1

Default Been Working on my 9/11 Memorial Album.

I have been working on gathering the best of my WTC pix. I have very deep feelings about 9/11, and hope that these images touch something in somebody...

It will probably be updated in the future, but the sequence seems to say something to me already.

Here is the link to the gallery:

http://www.pbase.com/walterk/wtc_pix&page=all

WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2002, 2:12 PM   #2

I like you website Walter, I think you did a great job with many fine photos. Some of them already seen in the forums.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2002, 4:51 AM   #3

Those pictures are brilliant Walter, some of the best twin tower pics i have seen. Did you use auto settings on your camera in your sig to take these shots? Or did you do them all with manual settings?
BCobra99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2002, 5:18 PM   #4

Thanks for the compliments. I generally used autofocus and matrix metering, with shutter priority so I could pick a shutterspeed fast enough to avoid camera movement from blurring the image.

For the panorama shots on the website, I used AE/Whitebalance lock to keep the same exposure from frame to frame. I also set the exposure so that the brightest frame would be exposed correctly, and shot the rest at that setting.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 12:26 PM   #5

Walter...

You have done a superb job of paying homage...

To those who built them, those who lived and worked in them
and those who paid with their lives.

It is indeed a memorial...A memorial preserves memories.

Thank you, Walter.

It is a privelege to view your talents and I thank you for
your generosity.

Digcamfan
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 4:50 PM   #6

Thank you for the kind words. I still get the urge to go down thereand redo some of the pix with my new camera...and then I have to shake my head 'cause I can't...
Old Nov 26, 2002, 5:41 PM   #7

I love this picture. Great job.
MikeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2002, 8:24 PM   #8

Thanks, Mike.

That picture started out as a color shot with washed out sky. I converted it to B&W, and made a layer from the original on top of that. I used Filter>Render>Clouds to fill in the sky, and Lighting Effects>Flare to put the color flare around the lights. It was originally an image I considered mostly unusable, so I'm glad I was able to save it.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 10:09 PM   #9

Walter - beautiful work. I looked for the image you have of the antenna mast on top of one of the towers, but it isn't in your gallery. I think of your shot every time I see the video of the vertical descent of that tower, with the mast being the last solid object disappearing downward into the cloud of destruction.

I snuck into your other albums, and particularly like the airshow, with the series on the "Black Jet", and the "Glider". Very nice work.

Ward
Ward Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2002, 5:48 AM   #10

Thanks, Ward,

I had completely forgotten about those antenna shots, because the quality was not so great. If I remember now, I used piggybacked EagleEye Zoom lenses for them, as a test.

You've got me thinking, though, that I should go back to the originals and see if I can clean up the noise and fix the contrast. Maybe their value is not as art, but just for documentation. I agree that they are pretty rare shots of the antenna, that probably have evocative value.

Ward, I really broke the piggybank on getting the D60 and my lenses, but I feel as if whole new levels of creativity are there now, so I think it was worth the bucks.

I'm glad you like the airshow album. I had fun doing it, and learned a lot from it..

If I can make my WTC antenna pix presentable enough, I'll put one or more in my WTC album. Thanks again.