Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Oct 21, 2004, 11:57 AM   #11

Here's a final 2 variations on the original shot - these were taken a few minutes before the above image:

So, which of these 3 pictures has the most impact and would be most worth printing?
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 5:25 PM   #12

hey geoff...

to answer your question...you'd have to do one thing first...

try to remove the noise from the last two..there's a small amount in the sky, and a lot in the darker mountains...

i'm leaning towards the last one...maybe the first one...

lol

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 5:35 PM   #13

Yes, you're correct, Vito, there is a bit of noise. I had to use the Shadow/Highlight adjustment to bring out a bit more in the darker areas and that accentuated the noise. I didn't go to the trouble of running the stuff through NeatImage or NoiseNinja but I probably should have.

You'll also notice a little bit of contouring as a halo above the sun in the first and third images, but especially in the third image. That's due to the 8-bit processing rather than 16-bit in PS. I didn't shoot raw (as I should have but I was trying to cram as many images as I could each day onto the 1GB CF card) so the jpegs right out of the camera showed the contouring in these images.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 5:54 PM   #14

hm..i do see the contouring..but it doesn't look bad....in fact...i wouldn't have noticed it unless you pointed it out..and even now that i know about it, i'm not sure it detracts or anything...

btw...how many pictures did you get onto the 1GB? did you have a laptop with you..to dump pictures onto every night?

just curious, cuz i'm taking a trip out west (29 days of solid photography ) in july, and i'm seeing if 350 pictures would be enough for a full day (liiike...moab...delicate arch sunrise, white rim and shafer trails during the day, and then landscape arch and it's surroundings around sunset) and there are a couple days i won't have electricity at the campground...

thanks

vito
Old Oct 21, 2004, 5:59 PM   #15

I was able to get about 250 images (8mp, fine jpeg format) onto a 1GB CF card. Each night I dumped the images to a digital wallet (Transcend Photobank, 20GB version - not very happy with it although it didn't lose me any pictures).

For a 29 day trip I'd plan on taking about 4-5k pictures. You'd better have 20GB (at least) of digital wallet storage or loads of CF cards. A laptop would be the best solution but I didn't feel like lugging one around.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 6:07 PM   #16

well, i'm getting the rebel, and i have my laptop (not a problem to lug it around, cuz i can keep it in the motorhome), and i'll just bring like 50 CDs....lol

lol, just realized something...i'm gonna have to burn two CDs for the space i have on the 1GB card! lol...(well, 1,400 on two CDs....so a card will be a cd and a little less than half)

well, 4-5 is fine....10-20k is fine..just depends on if i can manage to get some good ones

i actually bought this laptop with this trip in mind (i bought it last january, and have been using it for internet and stuff like that since), so i could take 40 million pictures and it wouldn't matter (as long as i have enough CDs)

ok, i'm gonna stop talking now

that's good to hear you got 250 pictures at 8mp...

Vito
Old Oct 21, 2004, 6:10 PM   #17

Geoffs- I live in Jerusalem but i was there a couple of times already. I absolutely can not get enough of this place, i love every inch of it. I'm glad you had a nice trip.
lLISCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 6:57 PM   #18

Yep, ILISCOOL, I had a blast in Israel. I was in Jerusalem from Thursday through Saturday of last week and stayed at the David Citadel Hotel.

How long have you lived in Israel? I take it you were from the US before?
Old Oct 21, 2004, 11:55 PM   #19

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:
well, i'm getting the rebel, and i have my laptop (not a problem to lug it around, cuz i can keep it in the motorhome), and i'll just bring like 50 CDs....lol

lol, just realized something...i'm gonna have to burn two CDs for the space i have on the 1GB card! lol...(well, 1,400 on two CDs....so a card will be a cd and a little less than half)

well, 4-5 is fine....10-20k is fine..just depends on if i can manage to get some good ones

i actually bought this laptop with this trip in mind (i bought it last january, and have been using it for internet and stuff like that since), so i could take 40 million pictures and it wouldn't matter (as long as i have enough CDs)

ok, i'm gonna stop talking now

that's good to hear you got 250 pictures at 8mp...

Vito

Vito - I would definetally look into getting a second battery with the camera. I made the mistake of only having one battery for my G3 this last summer when camping in Glacier National Park. I ran out of juice the second to last day. Missed some pics.

--------
Ryan
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 12:03 AM   #20

very good point..and the best part about staying with canon...

the rebel (unless i'm mistaken...i've been researching cameras too much...so i might be confusing the rebel with the 10D) uses the same battery as my G2!

woot...i'm thinking i'm gonna get the battery grip too...looks cool, vertical shutter, and double battery life!

Vito