Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 2, 2004, 5:26 AM   #1

Between having a dialup access and limited server space on my ISP, I try to keep file sizes down.
[align=center]

Here are some pictures saved in the minimum image quality range ...

__________________________________________________ ____________

==> 35.3 Kb

==> 46.2 Kb

==> 47.0 Kb

==> 31.9 Kb

==> 35.5 Kb

==> 37.1 Kb

==> 46.7 Kb

==> 39.3 Kb
[/align]
Blue Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2004, 7:02 PM   #2

Hi Blue Moon;

These are all nice shots, and some of them do not suffer too badly from the process of compressing them for your web server.

There is a lot of noise in most of the shots, which is not necessarily a problem for most posts. A couple of the shots, though, have severe JPEG artifacts which really do detract from the beauty of your shots. And they really are nice shots; I can tell you took pains to perfect their composition. Can I suggest a compomise, where you halve, instead of decimate your file sizes. This would save you some space on your server, yet still give your shots the treatment they really deserve.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 4:34 AM   #3

Tom,

Thanks for your reply.

I agree with your observations on the images artifacts. The posted files were edited with PS 4.0 a while ago and are pushing the edge of the envelope, but they could be a good deal worse.

Many people are still using dialup access and have to wait for what sometimes seems like an eternity to load larger files. I know I hate having to decide if I should go take a walk or just hit the back button on the browser when trying to view some posts. I thought I would post the files and see what kind of feedback I could get. I was curious about how many of this forum's members have experimented with minimizing file size while trying to maintain image integrity and what tips they have to offer. Like - what software is good / bad for this? ... What's the best way to evaluate displayed image quality? ...

In hind sight, I probably should have posted this in the General Q&A forum and asked for input. Since making that observation I have found a lot of useful information over in the Q&A forum. The posts were geared towards interpolation and lossless image rotation, but a lot of the info and software tools can be applied to reducing file size while maintaining image quality. I have tried Irfanview before and was impressed / intimidated by it's host of different resample sizing methods and now have several new programs to try out (including a new Exif / photo viewer).

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...20&forum_id=78

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...58&forum_id=78

I found this link from segbert to be particularly interesting ... http://sylvana.net/jpegcrop/losslessapps.html

Blue Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 12:05 PM   #4

I have dial up and I just wait. It's worth it to see the best possible image. I would rather see these one at a time with a larger file size.
ccd333 is offline   Reply With Quote