Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 19, 2004, 9:04 AM   #1

Went up to the wind farm which is on the edge of the coast (the southern Ocean), the colors were quite pretty tonight.

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2004, 10:41 AM   #2

I love windmills. Were they all stopped or did the camera capture it that way?
johnny_yuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 1:13 PM   #3

Nice shots, Julie.

The colours are verynice, but what I like best is the way the second shot fades into the mist.

Good work.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 1:37 PM   #4

very nice work julie!

i like the first two! the fog is great in the second one, and i like the vertical orientation of the first one!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 3:41 PM   #5

I like one and two the best...the way you set up the shot, you really draw the viewer's eye further and further in on the first one. The mist gives it a surreal effect.

:-)
WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 6:01 PM   #6

johnny_yuma wrote:
Quote:
I love windmills. Were they all stopped or did the camera capture it that way?
No, they were actually turning quite fast.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 6:05 PM   #7

Thanks for the comments, there is no fog, just a haze off the ocean, it had been a very hot day and sometimes the haze will sit there. The third shot was an experiment on trying to get the aspect of how large the windmills are as opposed to the moon up there in the distance, Im not sure if it worked:-).
Old Dec 22, 2004, 12:25 AM   #8

Hi Aladyforty,

What beautifulpix.....really brilliant!

What's your impression of the wind farm? Over here research suggests that people hate the idea of having them nearby, but get to like them once they've experienced them first hand, (not too intrusive, green electrity etc.)

They certainly have lovely haunting quality in these pix.

Canna
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 4:12 AM   #9

I love them, when they first wanted to put the wind farm herethere was opposition from so called environmentalists, they complained that is was visual pollution, then they were worried about the things blowing down in a cyclone and hitting a house:roll:We have only had one cyclone in this region in 40 years!!! Then they complained that people would not visit our town because of the view!!! strange thing is that they have become one of the first places that tourists visit. the council had to put in a sealed road. Now they are talking about building a museum there. I love how majestic they look and in high winds, if you are right next to them (no houses within over a mile or so from this wind farm) you can hear the whooshing. I get fed up with people like David Bellamy calling for them to be stopped, what would he rather we do, dig up coal?????
Old Dec 25, 2004, 11:17 PM   #10

Beautiful, beautiful. You should contact the energy company and/or the wind turbine manufacturer and attempt to sell those! I'm sure they'd LOVE them for brochures/promotional materials/office decoration.
We have a few wind farms where I'm originally from (northwest Iowa, USA) because it's very flat and cold air regularly comes rushing down from Canada... I wish there were more.
One man who lived in a small town in NW Iowa wanted to build a wind turbine to power the town (one would supply about 1/3 of the town's power) but the electric company's contract with the town specified that if they were to secure electricity from other sources, the power company could raise their rates... so even though the town could get the power from the windmill for free, they'd end up paying MORE in electricity due to the much higher rates for the excess. So, instead, the guy just paid for a month's worth of electricity for the whole town. That's America for you.
Anyway, really, you should contact either the plant there (if they're building a museum, I'm sure they need pictures) or better yet contact the turbine manufacturer -- I truly believe you could sell those pics!
great job
~kjk
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote