Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 14, 2005, 2:32 PM   #1

Comments welcome

Attached Images

choeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2005, 3:44 PM   #2

That is very pretty!! How did you get that soft effect?
algea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 9:16 PM   #3

It is a soft focus effect that I learned. Hereare the steps:
  • Duplicate the background layer twice [/*]
  • Change the blending mode on one layer to lighten and the other to darken [/*]
  • On the layer you set to lighten run a Gausian Blur with a setting of 30 - 35 [/*]
  • On the layer you set to darken run a Gausian Blur with a setting of 20 - 25 [/*]
  • Merge the two layers into one and change the opacity to the soften effect you perfer[/*]
You can then create a layer mask and remove the effect from the areas you want to draw attention. For this picture I did that on the road to lead your attention to the setting sun.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 9:12 AM   #4

Anyone else have any comments? I am really curios to know what you all think of this shot? What is your first impression you had when you viewed the image?
Old Jan 16, 2005, 10:00 AM   #5

A lovely effect. Did you notice the sky explode with color after the sun dropped behind the horizon?
MoonGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 12:12 PM   #6

Maybe I'm having a memory glitch, but didn't you post this back in October or November when trying some different effects with it? I swear I saw this road in a pic here with a funky sky effect. Maybe it is just a hallucination from the extreme cold here, or maybe you revisited a road from a previous picture, who knows. Just trying to figure it out.

What would be cool would be to add a lonely figure walking away down that road, but I like the effect. Thanks for sharing your process, too!!

WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 3:28 PM   #7

Hi choeschen,

I really like it. Very magical.

My oneslight preference would be a crop from the bottom up to the 2nd horozontal line in the road - only because I find the realism of the road a bit distracting from the atmosphere of the rest of the pic.

abw, Canna
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 7:15 PM   #8

Would make a nice card or postcard.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 4:07 PM   #9

WisconsinGirl wrote:
Quote:
Maybe I'm having a memory glitch, but didn't you post this back in October or November when trying some different effects with it? I swear I saw this road in a pic here with a funky sky effect. Maybe it is just a hallucination from the extreme cold here, or maybe you revisited a road from a previous picture, who knows. Just trying to figure it out.

What would be cool would be to add a lonely figure walking away down that road, but I like the effect. Thanks for sharing your process, too!!

Yes this is a repost. I reposted it as I wanted to get a fresh objective viewpoint of this picture. If you find my previous post you will find out that this is two different shots taken at a different time of the day and different locations. I merged the land shot in with a sunset shot. I really wanted to know if it is noticeable obvious that it is two shots put together. If you looked at this shot and though "that just does not look right because of x, y, or z" that would give me something to improve on.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 9:17 PM   #10

Good idea!!:-)
WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote