Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:57 PM   #1

Hi everyone. The weather changed drastically on the West Coast in the last 2 days, and after 3 or 4 weeks of cool, and some snowy weather,we've been hit by the Pineapple Express. This is weather that originates in Hawaii, and pounds the West Coast with heavy rain. I decided to check out our local watershed, as the rain was pounding down. The snow pack is also contributing to the runoff, and it is impressive to say the least. I plastic bagged my camera(FZ20), and poked a hole for the lens, grabbed my big umbrella, and headed out.I had a lens hood, and protective filter on also, as didn't want to soak my lens assembly. It was quite dark, and even though I cranked the iso to 400 on some of these, I still couldn't achieve more than 1/50 of a shutter speed. Too d__ed dark!! Even with the hood, lens protector, and umbrella, I still got some water on the filter. Wind was blowing too. The pictures really don't do the scene justice I think, but I tried my best. Any comments or ideas you might have are very welcome. Cheers........thekman. ps: I was soaked to the a_s after I finished. Lol.
Attached Images

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:58 PM   #2

Number 2
Attached Images

Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:59 PM   #3

Number 3
Attached Images

Old Jan 18, 2005, 12:01 AM   #4

Number 4
Attached Images

Old Jan 18, 2005, 12:02 AM   #5

Number 5
Attached Images

Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:12 AM   #6

thekman620 number 4 & 5 really capture the power of the water for me anyway. Came over from the Panasonicforum from post thereto check these out. Nice shooting. :-)
jer1ivp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:31 AM   #7

Thanks mate. It was difficult to capture the power of the water. After viewing and editing the pictures, I almost thought a camcorder(perish the thought), would capture the power better, but wouldn't ever do that! I tried to freeze the action, even set ev to -2, and then boosted the levels in pp, but still couldn't achieve a quick enough shutter speed. Just too dark. Cheers......thekman.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 12:53 PM   #8

Hey there...thekkie, jeez you're just like the rest of us. Nothing gets in the way of taking a picture if you really want it. Wow. First rate. I am so glad you took those for us to see. Brings back memories of a lot of stuff I've seen in some of my hikes, but didn't have a camera with me at the time. I know the feeling...soaked to the skin I mean. Sigh...feels great to be able to see that torrent from the comfort of my chair sitting in front of my computer. (Now go on out there and get us some more!! Ooops, just being a smart a__!!) Well done, thanks for sharing. Hope you guys get to dry out. I'm heading out to Victoria next week. Keeping my fingers crossed. I'm usually good luck for you guys, almost every time I show up there the sky is BLUE and the sun is shining.

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 2:55 PM   #9

Could you make it this week? It's not supposed to stop until at least Sunday. :? Cheers.......thekman.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 8:49 PM   #10

Cudos Kman for going out in that crap to take some great shots. I hope it stops raining out there soon, from what I understand from the news it's getting kinda serious. Out here last week it hit -40 today it's freezing rain. Tommorow....Who knows..............
Stay dry, stay safe

scottie
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote