Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 19, 2005, 4:37 PM   #1

I have been going back through the pix I took when I just got my camera and PS Elements and trying to fix what I couldn't fix before. I had spent hours taking pix of the northern lights and couldn't get it right. You could barely see the images. At the time, I was only trying to fix the lightness/darkness and used levels, but I never adjusted the CONTRAST!! MAN!!! Anyway, I was kind of excited that you can actually see something like what I saw that night. The bottom lights are blown out, but I'm no where near ready to use those masks or whatever they are. Not high quality, but you can see what was in the sky.

:-)

Attached Images

WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2005, 5:43 PM   #2

Well, well, well... good job!! Glad you got it, they are quite a sight.
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 6:51 PM   #3

Gorgeous, WisconsinGirl!

Now, take your fam out on the country roads of WI tonite!

There is supposedly a big solar storm (>aurora borealis) hitting the northern USA skies tonite!!!

:-)
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:09 PM   #4

Nice job W.G. I remember when you posted the first shot of this and you were a little bummed out. Ha ha! The power of post processing! It's fun, and useful, learning all this digital stuff, isn't it? Cheers......thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:22 PM   #5

WOW!! I thought they were good before, now they are great!! No wonder you were a little disappointed. I have seen them before, but nothing like that in person. Great job. The blown lights at the bottom don't distract me, but you can fix them pretty simply without masks. Maybe not as good, but start with the original, go to layers at the top and create a duplicate. On this one make your contrast adj. or whatever you want to get it like you want. then all you have to do is take your eraser on the tool bar and erase the blown lights to reveal the originals. you can use the undo arrow if you do too much. When you got it how you like it, flatten it or merge down to one layer and then keep posting shots like this!! I have to get around the hard way, as I only have PS Elements, not 2.0 or 3.0, just the basic. I have to try a little harder sometimes. Good luck.

Edit: you can also adjust the opacity and sizeof your eraser so if you were trying to erase some of the halo around the light on the bottom left and wanted to keep the green that would be one way to do it.
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 11:16 PM   #6

Thanks, guys! All that is out there right now is thick overcast skies, digcamfan, but thanks for the heads up. Too bad it wasn't a few nights ago when the skies were so clear, although, you couldn't have paid me to be out there when it was 20 below. :-)
Old Jan 21, 2005, 7:42 PM   #7

NIce shost Wgirl. I have seen northern lights before, but they were more white to pale pink. Those are beautiful. Is the intensity and color in real life similiar to your print? I can only imagine how difficult it wouold be to bring these out of your exposure. Well done.
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 9:00 AM   #8

They were incredible greens down close to the ground and when you looked straight up, there were white and red bands going all over the sky, converging sometimes on this central spot in the sky...I tried to capture that, too, but got darkness. At night, on my LCD panel, they showed up just like I saw them, but they were just dark at home.

Actually, I had tried lightness/darkness/levels at first. I never tried contrast. I took the image from my camera and just adjusted contrast. I didn't mess with the color at all. It was even more intense in person, but at least you have a hint of what could be coming tonight if you have clear skies!!

Old Jan 28, 2005, 5:34 AM   #9

It must be amazing to see these lights in the night sky. Congrats in getting your photo, just right.
MVASteve is offline   Reply With Quote