Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 26, 2005, 5:48 PM   #1

:? Does anyone use dtaduiated density filters for landscapes on their digital cams. If so, can you recommend what kind?

Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2005, 6:21 PM   #2

Hi yes I have just started to use one. Mine is by B+W and half of the filter is grey which gradually goes to clear. It is built like a polarizer filter as the outer ring revolves . I think that Ishould have gotten the +4 as the one that I have is not quite dense enough. But, it works quite well in holding down the highlights (sky,etc.) while letting you expose for the darker areas of the image.
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 10:11 PM   #3

Yes, I use the Cokin P series holder and filters and Singh-Ray filters .

The Cokin filters are resin and much less expensive, the split ND's are the #120 & #121, you can stack them to get stronger effect.

The P series starts to vignette around 20mm so the Cokin X-pro series is handy with the wide anglesbut cost much more.

The Singh Ray's are optical glass and expensive, but a quality product. :-)

With the rectangular filters you can slide them up/down in the holder and rotate to match where you want the effect to start.

Peter

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 1:15 AM   #4

Thank you guys for your help. Just reeread my post and wonder how you even had a clue what I was asking. Mind readers.

I have read the Sing-Ray filters are very good although expensive Peter, any thoughts. Are these the square ones you are referring to?
Old Jan 27, 2005, 7:26 AM   #5

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
Yes, I use the Cokin P series holder and filters and Singh-Ray filters .

The Cokin filters are resin and much less expensive, the split ND's are the #120 & #121, you can stack them to get stronger effect.

The P series starts to vignette around 20mm so the Cokin X-pro series is handy with the wide anglesbut cost much more.

The Singh Ray's are optical glass and expensive, but a quality product. :-)

With the rectangular filters you can slide them up/down in the holder and rotate to match where you want the effect to start.

Peter

PeterP- with regret i must inform you that if you are referring to the Sing-Ray Galen Rowell Graduated Neutral Density Filters that they are made from optical CR39 type plastic and still real expensive ($99us). i have 4 of them for close to 10 years now. useful little things aren't they? if they were glass they never would havesurvived in my camera bag due to their size. if it wasen't for the weight you'd never know though. i also did a mod or to to my cokin adapter to allow it to go just a wee bit further then 20mm. i have a 16-35 on a 1Ds2 it still falls short and vignettes nicely below that. the X models would help but i have these for now. i will probably sell them when i get Pxxxxd off at them enough because i want to go wider.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 9:15 AM   #6

Thanks you guys for your help. I have read Galen Rowells statements on the Singh-Rays which makes them sound ideal for most every situation.

Are thee or any others you are aware of able to be used for multiple lenses? The lenses I probably use most for landscapes are [will be ] 10x22, 17x85 and 70x200. Don't have the 10x22 yet but assume its lense size is different also.

Any other input is appreciated as well.

Old Jan 27, 2005, 11:03 AM   #7

Sjms: Wow, I was convinced they were glass, :whack:shows how much I know.

I was just going by the scratches I have put in my cokins, maybe just more careful with the expensiver ones.

Ya, if you mean the mod where you cut off a couple of the slots from the holder I have done that to one of them too :-), My 19mm still seems to be able to see a couple of corners.

Golfer: Cokins are square, Singh-rays are rectangular. Same effect but you can adjust the Singh-rays more. AndSingh-ray make a reverse grad I keep looking at, looks like it might be another useful addition.

For this kind of square filter type there is also Lee FIlters I have never used them.

Peter.

Old Jan 27, 2005, 3:13 PM   #8

Peter, Sjims I visited the site for Lee's and Singh-Rays and they look like quality units. I assume I would need a holder and then the ND filters. Question is, what kind of holder do I need, and should a guy get 1,2 & 3 stops or is there a better way. Can sure see where these could get expensive.

Peter saw the reverse units and wondered if the standard unit could just be put in upside down or is there more to this than I am seeing?:?
Old Jan 27, 2005, 3:40 PM   #9

All three makers have a series of filters that fit the Cokin P-series holder.

You need an P-adapter ring to fit each lens you want to use the holder on. You need the holder itself(Each holder comes with a slide that acts as a lens cap). And you need the filters themselves. If you are not using wide-angle lenses the filters can be stackedso a1 and a 2 stop ND filters give3 stops. You can also get a modularstacking lens hood for the Cokin-P system.

Golfer: the Reversehas athin band in the center and is clear on both sides :-)http://www.singh-ray.com/morefilt.htmlScroll down till you findthe Singh-ray strip filters,They are useful at sunrise/sunset when the horizon is getting too bright but both the land and the sky are still dim by comparison.

Peter.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 3:42 PM   #10

get the cokin WA (Wide Angle) P Filter holder. it saves you from having to do the mod that we were refering to.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote