Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 26, 2005, 7:54 PM   #1

This is my first try at a real moon shot and I took it from my running van with no tripod (excuses, excuses), but I'm wondering what you think about the crop. Is it OK like this?

Only adjustment was contrast. It was so weird that I couldn't get a decent shot with any settings, so I turned on my flash on P mode and got all the details of the moon. Obviously, I need to play with my settings, but I was happy to find something that actually worked!!

:G

Attached Images

WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2005, 4:50 PM   #2

:? Nice idea Wgirl. You are really beginning to work with that camera.

The moon shot IMO is really pretty good. For me [my opinion only] I would like to see something relative to it, ie: a tree, a building or something. This would kind of ground it and give it dimesion and turn a picture into a photograph. Someone else however, may think I am nuts.

I haven't tried much night photography yet, was it diffcult to get your camera operational ? Did you use a long exposure?
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 6:01 PM   #3

Yeah, I tried a few by a farm house and by some pine trees, but I only played with one to post. I agree...some point of reference is always recommended...I just couldn't get it with this. I thought maybe the snow would lighten the bottom up a little. Maybe if I knew anything about these editing programs, I would know how to lighten the snow and leave the sky dark and the moon as it is. I haven't had time to play with layers like that.

When I tried the settings I thought with exposures of a few seconds, the moon ended up as a big white flashlight in the sky, but for whatever reason, on the P setting with flash, it turned out with detail. I thought for night shots you had to have longer exposures, but apparently not. I just keep practicing.:-)
Old Jan 28, 2005, 2:26 AM   #4

I think it's a great minimalist picture.

...ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 5:04 AM   #5

Me too!

Canna
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 12:02 PM   #6

WisconsinGirl wrote:
Quote:

When I tried the settings I thought with exposures of a few seconds, the moon ended up as a big white flashlight in the sky, but for whatever reason, on the P setting with flash, it turned out with detail. I thought for night shots you had to have longer exposures, but apparently not. I just keep practicing.:-)
Just remember what you are actually taking a picture of when you shoot the moon.. The sunlight reflecting off of it..

Good shot..
Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 12:40 PM   #7

Yep, it's a sunlit scene, so try 1/500 at f/8 at ISO 100 if it's close to overhead, or open up a stop or two if it's closer to the horizon or only partially lit. ("Sunny 16 rule"--shutter 1/ISO at f/16; you can open the aperture and speed the shutter up to keep it within your camera's limits.)
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 6:51 PM   #8

Thanks for the setting help, guys!!