Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 28, 2005, 12:28 AM   #1

Sydney Harbour Bridge at night.
Attached Images

cock3tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2005, 3:57 PM   #2

I looked at your other post first, and the first thing I thought was "this would be a great night picture".

This one is very nice. A bit soft. Would love to see it from the high angle of the day shot.

Darrell
Darrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 7:25 PM   #3

Sorry, I don't have a high shot .
Old Feb 3, 2005, 2:22 AM   #4

I really like the vivid colors and the composition.

Hope I haven't overstepped by posting this, but I wanted to see what a little fill flash would do to your photo. You may not have wanted any more detail in the bridge, but I thought it might be interesting to see what it looked like. I also (over?) sharpened it a bit.

Attached Images

Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 3:16 AM   #5

Hi Cock3tail,

Yourpic has gorgeous colours, & l go for the persepective. Also makesa lovely contrast to what I see outside my (British) window at this time of year!

And Wannabee,

As a newbie at editing am fascinated by what you did. Would you mind sharing the process?

All the best, Canna.
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 9:06 AM   #6

Sure Canna!

I use Paint Shop Pro 9 mostly. It has a lot of the same features as Photoshop, but cost a heck of a lot less. My old version of Photoshop just doesn't have the features for Photo editing that the newer versions do.

Anyway, you get quite a bit of control over nearly everything in a photo: color/balance, contrast/brightness, noise, saturation, lighting, etc. One of the groupings is for "photo fix", and one of the choices is for fill flash. The obvious use of the fill flash "fix" is to give a human subject some light on their face wherethe light wasbrighter behind them and their face came out dark because of it (underexposed). However, in playing with the fill flash feature, I've noticed that it works on a lot of photos to bring out a great amount more detail when the information is there but basically hidden to the eye. Sometimes, you don't want the added detail, but in some cases it's very helpful. In this case I initially applied it to the entire picture, but didn't like the effects it had on the colors reflecting on the water, so I instead I went back and just applied it to the top part of the photograph ending at the water's edge. That way I could pull out detail everywhere else in the photo (most importantly, the bridge) without messing up the way the colors were reflecting on the water.

After that, I appliedthe sharpening filter (no settings necessary), and then "unsharp mask" which is another filter for sharpening an image. The unsharp masksettings I used were .45, 200, 0. It's a low level unsharp mask that works well usually.

That's all I did. It really took only a few seconds to complete. If it were my photo I'd probably have played around with it a little more. There's an "auto enhance photo" function that will use several individual "auto" enhancement functions (color balance, contrast, saturation, etc) and a few more of the specialty processes you can run all automatically. Frequently, I run that first just to see what it will come up with in the way of results. Sometimes it's pretty good and I adjust from there. Sometimes it's not good so I just start over and apply the things that experience tells me will help the photo. It's kind of a combination of trial and error and reading what other people do with the software.

Post photo processing is one of the great things about digital photography to me. Some photos don't need much, if any. But often, a few relatively minor enhancements really helps to bring out the image that you were trying to capture.

Hope that helps!
Old Feb 3, 2005, 3:18 PM   #7

Wannabe

Very interesting indeed! Thank you very much for describing things so clearly. Very helpful.

Canna.
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 3:31 PM   #8

I could start a different thread and show you what the results are with some major post production processing. I don't claim it's great or anything, but I think you'd agree it's better than the original by a good bit.

Only if you are interested. I kinda get a kick out of it and I have an example from a photo I took right after I got my camera.

Edit: Was going to take this off my watch list, and reread it and was horrified. When I said "I don't claim it's great or anything, but I think you'd agree it's better than the original by a good bit", I wasn't referring to the pics in this thread. I was referring the before and after pics I was thinking about posting!

Old Feb 18, 2005, 10:39 PM   #9

Cocktail...this is a nice picture of the harbour bridge. I like the colours a lot. The only thing is that the photo doesn't look sharp, so maybe a tripod could have helped, or maybe it's the focus on the camera. Probably just the focusing since it looks like the background is blurred only.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 1:35 PM   #10

Thanks for your comments. I did know the pic was not as sharp as it could have been. A tripod was used but this one didn't come out good. Anyway,have a look at this next one and see what you think.
Attached Images