Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 19, 2005, 11:58 PM   #1

Made kind of an abstract with the stalks and other colors of the the scene
Attached Images

Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2005, 8:10 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Very interesting - looks kinda psychedelic.

Hard to believe it's real. (And I mean that in a "wow" sense not "you must have done it in photoshop" sense :-) )

Kanji - I mean no disrespect but I find the composition slightly unsettling (which may be what you were trying for of course).

I tried a crop which I think makes the picture easier to look at for longer. Actually this is such an interesting shot that I think by cropping you might a number of different photographs in it.
Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:14 PM   #3

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Very interesting - looks kinda psychedelic.

Hard to believe it's real. (And I mean that in a "wow" sense not "you must have done it in photoshop" sense :-) )

Kanji - I mean no disrespect but I find the composition slightly unsettling (which may be what you were trying for of course).

I tried a crop which I think makes the picture easier to look at for longer. Actually this is such an interesting shot that I think by cropping you might a number of different photographs in it.
Hi peripatetic, thank you very much for your pointers on the picture. That crop that you did on the picture really made a nice and importantimprovement. I never take pointers or advise on pictures as a disrespect,I take them as tips and information on how to improve my photos,so, as far as I am concerned, I welcome the comments and tips.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:17 PM   #4

Thanks bhammitt, Thats what grabbed me also,this area is just awash with mustard plantsin these vineyards around here. It;s just a sea of yellow in some places
Old Feb 20, 2005, 2:39 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I've been looking at it again and I wonder if it could crop even tighter?

You lose a couple of the nice red cross-bars, but also all the extraneous houses and brush on the hillside.
Attached Images

Old Feb 20, 2005, 2:49 PM   #6

Hi again peripatetic,I think that you just made the picture for me, that looks the best rendition and what I was after.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 2:52 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Kanji wrote:
Quote:
Hi peripatetic, thank you very much for your pointers on the picture. That crop that you did on the picture really made a nice and important improvement. I never take pointers or advise on pictures as a disrespect,I take them as tips and information on how to improve my photos,so, as far as I am concerned, I welcome the comments and tips.
Well I hesitate a bit because I also feel like I have a great deal to learn, and would appreciate comments in the other direction too.

I recently read this article by Michael Reichmann and felt like it opened a door for me, he says in it:

"The one thing that I keep in mind when I'm deciding on cropping is — does this part of the image contribute, or would the final photograph be better without it? As for aspect ratio, I crop my photographs to anything from square to wide-aspect ratio. It simply depends on what the subject matter wants."

Something about that really resonated, and I've been trying to do it myself. The first thing I try to do now is look at the image I've captured and think - well should I be cropping this?

I posted 4 new photos this weekend and I think that all of them benefitted tremendously from some cropping. That's something I really like about having the 20D - with 8 megapixels I feel like I can afford to lose a few.

The full article can be found at:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/te.../process.shtml