Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 22, 2005, 3:52 AM   #1

Took a walk with Sandy up to the top of Mt. Hizure late this afternoon. This chromatic aberration (halo) occurred on several shots taken directly into the setting sun.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:53 AM   #2

Hi Norm,

Love the soft gradations between the sun, and sky round it, and the bluer sky and mountains in the distance. Very nice pic.

Canna.

P.S. I'd love to see more pix from Japan!
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 6:58 AM   #3

Thanx, Canna (FWIW, my daughter's name is Kanon). I've got more pictures of Japan on my website, but most are for information purposes. I do have a few other photos of Japan here from last year, at:

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...893&forum_id=8
http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...783&forum_id=8

Old Feb 24, 2005, 6:09 AM   #4

Lovely pix! (Elsewhere I have said I don't do links...but I do to SF forums...)

I epecially loved the b & w pic., but curious to know why you had to focus manually due to the scene lacking contrast...autofocus presumably doesn't work properly in these conditions.

Kanon is unusual, but nice name. I guess it may be Japenese.

I look forward to seeing more of your pix!

Canna.

Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 8:08 AM   #5

Thanks, Canna. Two basic systems are used for autofocus mechanisms, but Olympus uses a passive "phase-difference" detection mechanism that's based on the difference in contrast of a scene. So if you try and focus on a scene without contrast (like a plain sky), for example, there's no contrast there, so the focus mechanism gets confused and can't decide where to set the focus. That's what happened in the B/W photo. I wanted to focus on infinity, but the lighting situation wouldn't let me do it as is. There are other ways to get around it, but at the time it was simplest to just set manual focus on infinity and then aim whereever I wanted to set the exposure.

The name Kanon is just another spelling for Canon, which means "rule" (e.g., "Canon law") or a musical form similar to a passacaglia (e.g, the famous "Pachelbel's Canon"). It was easy to say in English, Japanese, and Korean, and I liked Pachelbel, so selected it. Also, it almost sounds like the goddess of mercy Kannon (Kwan Yin in Chinese).