Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 27, 2005, 5:42 PM   #1

Birthplace of Lady Jane Grey, "Queen for 9 days" and one of my regular haunts. I want to further explore the framing possibilities of this tree, not quite sure I'm there yet :roll:

Attached Images

Squonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2005, 4:14 AM   #2

Loks like an adventure to me! (I have to admit the possibility I may have a "building" fetish). Are the house and grounds opento the public Squonk? If so,I may have to take a meander to Leicester this summer.
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 6:32 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Nice shot.

I'm sure there has to be a cracking picture from somewhere very close to that position, but I agree that the tree's framing in that shot isn't too convincing.

Maybe only photoshop will work. But I'd go back and take pictures from lots of spots around there to see what you can get.

Here's a photoshop hatchet job which I think helps a bit.

Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 3:26 PM   #4

Suze - the grounds are open year round (I've certainly been there on Boxing Day if not Christmas Day) during the hours of daylight. The house has somewhat more limited opening hours, though of course this doesn't stop you getting photos from outside. There is also the rather distinctive "Old John" folly, in the rough shape of a beer mug sat ontop of the highest hill in the park. There are good opportunities for photos of deer, peacocks and other wildlife, not to mention some wonderfully gnarled old oak trees and interesting rock formations. I'll post some more photos as I get them I guess. I do have a lot of pictures taken on film around here, but my scanners leave a lot to be desired.

Peripatetic - thanks for the encouragement! I'll now come clean regarding the truth behind this shot. It was the first day since getting my 20D where I was a) not at work and b) there was some sun. I was very keen to get out and about with my new pride and joy. Alas, I was not feeling very well due to a rather nasty stomach bug which kept me off from work a few days later. Let's just say that I was probably firing shots off "in haste" and very shortly after taking this one I was basically dashing back to the car park as fast as I could. I was probably stupid going out that morning, but I was so keen to get out and take some daylight shots with my 20D.

And yes, it does look better with the upper branches cleaned away, and better to do it in PhotoShop than carry a saw around with me. :-)

I will certainly take a bit more time exploring the possibilities during my next visit!

A quick URL for further information and some more pictures of the area (just found from a spot of Googling).

http://members.lycos.co.uk/bradgate/bradgate.htm:-)
Old Mar 4, 2005, 6:05 PM   #5

Very Nice!
Thanks
Whisperin Squash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 7:13 AM   #6

Out there again this morning. Took 78 shots and I'm very pleased with some of the results. I've not had a lot of time to process the images yet (I shoot in RAW) but here are a few that I have done so far. There's a couple of the "beer jug" shaped "Old John" folly that I mentioned before. This was built in 1784.

Attached Images

Old Mar 6, 2005, 7:16 AM   #7

Ah, I was sure I'd seen postings with multiple attachments, but I don't seem to be able to figure out how to do that right now. Ah well, here come some more...

Attached Images

Old Mar 6, 2005, 7:18 AM   #8

And a quick skyscape...
Attached Images

Old Mar 6, 2005, 7:25 AM   #9

And one of the lovely old gnarled oaks, though this was just a snap, wasn't really concentrating on the trees today.

Attached Images

Old Mar 6, 2005, 7:27 AM   #10

Ach, and another one of Old John, humm, maybe I should have posted these in "architecture"?

Attached Images