Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 6, 2002, 10:30 PM   #1

Default Icy Sunset In Oklahoma

Late in the afternoon after a recent ice storm had passed through, the sun poked out from behind a large cloud bank for a few minutes before it set. The light on the back side of the ice and scene in general was surrealistic, and required that a photo be taken, so I gave it my best "shot".

http://www.pbase.com/wmlarso/oklahoma_weather
Ward Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2002, 3:29 AM   #2

A fine shot mr. Larson. It looks like a really "beware here it comes" sky!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2002, 7:10 AM   #3

Nice Photo.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2002, 5:37 PM   #4

Thanks Klaus and Mr. Gibson. This was a smaller version of the nasty ice storm that hit the east coast of the US this past Wednesday. I don't get a chance to take many photos lately, but I had to catch this one while I had the chance.
Old Dec 8, 2002, 9:34 AM   #5

Nice view Ward. I am on a laptop so the sky looks very bright...will have to look again on my PC at home.
The ice looks really cool.

I am hoping that we do not get one this year up in Montreal....the one 5 years ago shut us down for 11 days....and it was no fun.

Hmmm..might have felt different about it if I had been into photography back then, because it certainly was beautiful.

Cheers,
RobertG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2002, 10:51 AM   #6

Robert - thanks for posting. I've been following from time-to-time, some of your absolutely wonderful work with your Canon DSLR. I remember particularly the unbelievably spectacular falcon series, the spider shot posted here, and, about a year ago, the confused Robin sitting in your Canadian snow.

The ice/sunset shot above was somewhat challenging for my CP5K because of the dynamic range. I bracketed 5 or 6 shots, but because I was actually shooting into a sun that was in the open, the details of the sun were nothing more than a tremendously bright glow. I chose the photo above, because though it had nearly pure white at one extreme, it retained some detail in the shadows, except at the very lower right-hand corner. I also contemplated using the photo below, but it had less shadow detail, but the cloud detail was a bit more interesting. I'd be interested in knowing which of the two you, or anyone think would have been the best selection, given the limitations of the dynamic range of this camera. I do believe that the range of values in this photo would have proven to be a challenge for any camera sans electronic darkroom work with two or more images taken at different exposures. Thanks again Robert - great to hear from you.

http://www.pbase.com/wmlarso/oklahoma_weather
Old Dec 9, 2002, 9:24 AM   #7

Default I like the first one...

Hi Ward You always say such nice things.

I prefer the first photo, but I realize the tough lighting you were shooting under. I have purchased a grad filter to help in these situations, and I think it might have helped you here.

If you have the bracketed shots, I think you could do a nice composite in Photoshop to cover the dynamic range too.

I do try to drop in here occasionally, but time is always so short these days. With a 5 year-old, a 2.5 yearold, and a new baby comin' in about a month, I have my hands full now and for the foreseeable future

Cheers,

Robert
RobertG is offline   Reply With Quote