Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 12, 2002, 5:58 AM   #1

Default A walk across the river Thames, London.

Hi,

Well, here is the time where I jump in and post my first few pics. I very recently got interested in photography. I bought my first digital camera 2 weeks ago and decided to go wander around in London last week. But you know what they said about the best laid plans, don't you? The weather has been too bad to do any wandering around, except on that one day.

The pics were taken with my Kodak DX4900 then resized to fit the Internet Explorer window, if your resolution is set-up at 1024*768. People with lower resolutions will only have a partial view ov the picture. Apologies if this is not very user friendly.

I don't know any rules of photography and posting pics like this is a first. So comments and criticism would definitely be welcome.

http://www.gasperazzo.net/londongalleryindex.htm

Best,
Wendelius
Wendelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2002, 7:54 AM   #2

Very nice pics.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 9:40 AM   #3

Nice photos, and it's nice to see a bit of effort going into displaying them with short descriptions.

I went down to London in August, which was the first time since I was a little kid, and I got some nice photos with my point 'n' shoot Fuji. When I have my new camera and it's a nice day, I'll have to do it again becuase there is so much interesting architecture there.
Eddie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 11:40 AM   #4

Very nice pics. Great shots of the London Eye.

I've just been to London myself - what a great town...love it!

A few of my londonphotos can be found here;

http://www.pbase.com/kchl/england

Keep up the good work!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 12:18 PM   #5

Hi guys,

Thanks for the kind and encouraging comments.

Eddie J:
Quote:
and it's nice to see a bit of effort going into displaying them with short descriptions.
Well, considering I'm posting those on my own website, I can do whatever I please with the presentation. I'm the boss.
And I thought it would indeed be nice to put things in context.

Eddie J:
Quote:
When I have my new camera and it's a nice day, I'll have to do it again because there is so much interesting architecture there.
There are so many interesting places (you're right about the architecture) that I'll hopefully get more good shots out of the town too. It has to be an advantage of working here. I can go out at lunch time every day. On the other hand, you don't want to have to commute here daily, trust me.

Klaus DK
Quote:
A few of my londonphotos can be found here
I believe I have visited your gallery before but, if I haven't told you yet, let me tell you that those are superb shots. I really like them. I noticed you use a Nikon camera for all those evening/night shots. It looks like a nice camera and put to good use. Even on a tripod, I don't think that the Kodak would be up to that. I have to test night shots at some point.

Wendelius
Old Dec 12, 2002, 12:46 PM   #6

Oh yes, sorry Wendelius - I forgot! Thanks for you comments.

Your Kodak 4900 IS surely able of taking good nightshots.

What I would do:

Go down to the bridge (cant remember its name) between the London Eye and Big Ben. This is a very good place for taking nightshots. Put your digicam on ex. a glove (! its cold out there) - be sure it wont fall into the water - but keep you freezing hands away of the cam.
Just choose automatic mode (you digicam can go down to 16seconds shuttertime - at that place it's more than enough). Now disable your flash. Use the selftimer option. Then push the button, wait a few seconds and thats it. Dont touch the camera - its important. Then look at your great shot!! it will be.

This will get you the idea...afterwards you can challenge yourself with change in ISO (I always use 100) and aperture (I often use a large F number).

You really should try it - London is made for such nightshot. It's also a great time just before the dark falls - if you can catch a blue sky in the pic too - same technique as desribed above.

It easy - really!

(sorry got carried away there)
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2002, 4:55 AM   #7

Hiya Klaus,

Thanks a lot for the how-to. This is great advice. I can't wait to go out and try it.

Is it nightfall yet?

Wendelius
Old Dec 13, 2002, 10:27 PM   #8

Default very nice pics

thanks for the good pics. Been awhile sice I was in London. I mapped out the ancient Roman Walls when I was there.

Take a pic of the Roman wall going though a modern building for me.
That always amazed me seeing this old wall inside a modern building. Love to see it!

Jim
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2002, 12:09 AM   #9

Very nice pictures. Story: I have relatives who came from London in the 1700's (Cecil) poor silk weavers and migrated.

All your pictures are wonderful... Very nice eye of the camera...
M. Haner is offline   Reply With Quote