Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old May 22, 2005, 7:13 AM   #1

bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2005, 7:50 AM   #2

Beautiful as always, Bob, makes one want to bring along another thermosand join you. I hope you don't dress uplike you are in your new avitar to greet the sun ??!!

Regards

JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 7:56 AM   #3

Old May 22, 2005, 9:25 AM   #4

It's still mind boggling communicating over different time zones [Ie : we're about to head for Sunday sunset here, which means the weekend is almost over, and you guys are just beginning to enjoy Sunday, and then my sister who lives in New Zealand, is about to wake up to Monday morning [it's 3.00 am, Monday there now]

Bob, you won't regret the upgrade to a SLR, however, do your homework with regards to lenses before you go ahead. There are SOO many choices, and prices vary fromrelatively cheap [about the price of your current camera, to ridiculously expensive, about the price of a small house], and a number of different lenses requiredto shootall that one can with a point and shoot. I went from a Panasonic FZ10 which houses a lense with 28mm - 432mm capabilities, macro included, VERY good for "sunscapes",f2.8 all the way through,to a Canon 20D, and it was/is a huge learning curve as to which lenses to get and how to use them. There are bags required for ALL the kit, there aresensor cleaners needed because dust does get in when changing the lenses, the tripod you may have now probably won't hold the weight of the camera/lense combo.... etc, etc... I am not saying all this to discourage you, I would definitely do it again, the imagesARE superior, one can do a LOT more with SLR, however,it is wise to do a bit of homework before running into the thing, and quite frankly, the forumshere atSteve's are probably the best place to get the info, themembers here areextremely knowledgeable and willing to part with that knowledge.

Cheers from SA, where the sun don't always shine, night time has to fall sometime!!
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 11:09 AM   #5

Lovely shot Bob. I admire your enthusiasm for the early rise to get that special shot. I see by your post, it seems you're tired of noisy images. I'm in the same boat. I use a FZ20, and am constantly having to use NR on shots like these. It becomes wearisome, and annoying, but necessary in low light pics. Another member on the Panasonic Forum pointed me to a NR program called Picture Cooler. Pretty easy to use after you figure out how to install it. And you can do batch processing too, which can speed up things. Let me know if you purchase the Rebel. I am thinking of buying a similar style camera. Got it boiled down to the Pentax ist DS, Nikon d50(waiting for its release), and the Rebel. Cheers.......thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 11:38 AM   #6

Bob, excellent work. Loved your sunset album. Jake's advice is very well taken. I thought of a dSLR and decided not to and got a Minolta A200 instead. I didn't want to hassle the equiment side of things. Yes, the downsides are focus problems in low light, noise, and relatively limited ISO range. Among the upsides are a lighter bag, less worry about dust, cost, and unobtrusive.

If you wish you can take a gander ata view of sunsets in another part of the world. These have been taken with about four different cameras. From a true point and shoot Hp to the A200. Enjoy.

http://www.pbase.com/selvin/sunsets
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 3:48 PM   #7

Old May 26, 2005, 8:46 PM   #8

Wish i could join you there ,looks like agreat area. Sunrises and sunsets are always beautiful and they are each one different. Just sold my Canon 300d and got 350d xt. I don't know why,because I haven't found anything much better for doing scenics than my trusty Olympus 8080. But you know, the grass is always greener.
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 9:03 PM   #9