Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 2, 2005, 11:56 PM   #11

Yes, I have since bought a polarizer, a hood,as well as a UV filter and putting them to good use. But the polarizer seem to be a tricky piece to use. Must it be turned in a certain way?:?

Thanks.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 12:15 AM   #12

Aumma45 wrote:
Quote:
Yes, I have since bought a polarizer, a hood,as well as a UV filter and putting them to good use. But the polarizer seem to be a tricky piece to use. Must it be turned in a certain way?:?

Thanks.
Yes, but it's pretty simple. I've heard a general rule of thumb that your polarizer should be rotated 90 degrees from the sun, which I'm sure is accurate, but my general practice is to turn it until I see maximum saturation, particularly of the sky blues. If you make adjusting your polarizer a part of your routine it becomes second nature pretty quickly.

Cheers,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 5:31 AM   #13

Nice photos you have on Tom... Thanksfor the advice, I tried it out and it worked, I mean the polarizer.

How does the historgram work. A few details might also be helpful.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 7:28 AM   #14

Aumma45 wrote:
Quote:
I have a question about the histogram, when is the reading balance? Is it whenit is skewed to the left, to the right or when it is evenly distributed across the x-axis?
Kind regards.
The histogram helps to take some of the subjective guess work out of previewing your images. Your LCD screen does not have nearly enough resolution to accurately display the tonal range of your image. When in doubt, check your histogram. It will show you how your pixels are distributed in your image. Of course, every picture will be different, but you'll want a histogram with fairly distributed dark, medium and light pixels. What you want to avoid are huge spikes at either end. This is an indication of an under or over-exposed image.

Again, I recommend you listen to some of the other more experiencedusers here. And check the Canon forum; they know your camera. My camera doesn't have a histogram display, so I only see the histogram when I download shots from my camera.

Cheers,

Old Aug 3, 2005, 9:52 PM   #15

Try this link. It's a simple, straightforward explanation of histograms.

http://www.megapixel.net/html/articl...-histogram.php

Cheers,

Old Aug 7, 2005, 1:43 AM   #16

Thanks Tom for the information. I have reread the website and I now have quite an understanding of how the histogram works. More so about the the need sometimes to overexpose or underexpose a shot. Tricky eh, but I guess you get to know how to do it with practice.

Kind regards.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 1:28 AM   #17

I don't know whether this is the right forum or I should have used the critiques and techniques, but i have decided for continuity purposes to post here. Advice will be accepted but importantly critiques and technicalities.

Camera 350D Lens Canon 50mm F/1.8 II
Attached Images