Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 8, 2005, 7:15 AM   #1

Having recently learned how to create luminosity based selections in Photoshop Elements, I decided to try some duotone images. Now normally I don't go for b/w landscapes unless they're of the "gritty urban" style, but I think these probably work OK, I'd be interested to know what you think: please be brutal if you want, and remember this is an experiment :!: :-)

This first two were taken on the same trip to Bicton Gardens as these http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...ight=Botanical

However they were rather over-lit (taken in the middle of the day), so I haven't posted them before. Conversion to monochrome and then coloring with sepia (shadows) and blue (highlights) seems to work quite nicely:
Attached Images

John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2005, 7:16 AM   #2

This second one I've colored a little more strongly, I liked the effect at the time, but now I'm not so sure :roll:
Attached Images

Old Aug 8, 2005, 7:20 AM   #3

And finally something completely different, taken on a dull day, the color version looks rather boring, so I went overboard with the coloring here: gold for the shadows and blue for the hightlights :!:

Well it seemed like a good idea at the time :G

Regards, John.
Attached Images

Old Aug 10, 2005, 12:38 AM   #4
Super Moderator

john,

i really like this technique, i have used a similar one for some of my landscape-esq shots before with good success.. i find that it is most useful when there is some structure to your landscape, say a barn/church, etc..

of your set, i really like what you have done with #2, for me this shows of the technique best.. i think it could have worked in #3 as well, but the gold doesn't really work for me...

nice experiment, i would keep this technique in mind for the future, i think you will find it to be quite useful..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 5:40 AM   #5

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
i really like this technique, i have used a similar one for some of my landscape-esq shots before with good success.. i find that it is most useful when there is some structure to your landscape, say a barn/church, etc..

of your set, i really like what you have done with #2, for me this shows of the technique best.. i think it could have worked in #3 as well, but the gold doesn't really work for me...
No I think I really went off the wall with that third one :?

Here's a second try, just a small section from the first picture with my take on the "selenium" duotone (and this is just so much harder in elements than it would be photoshop!)

Interesting that you like the second one, looking back at these I was taken by the first - on the grounds that the effect is more subtle there - oh well, I'll just have to keep practicing I guess. Thanks for the feedback,

John.

Attached Images