Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Sep 13, 2005, 11:13 AM   #1

Grant suggested that the sunset image from this thread (http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...amp;forum_id=8) might work well when sandwiched with another image. My initial reaction was "No way! I don't do fake photos!" but then about 30 seconds later I changed my mind, I guess I'm just easily led :-)

For those that are interested in these things, the basic sunset image had a flaming-pear flood filter applied. I then blended in the picture of the avocets (which also had water as the background), and applied a colored photo-filter to the avocet layer to blend the colors in with the background.

I'd be interested to know what people think, both of the image and this kind of trickery in general: normally when I see work that other people have faked up like this I think "so what?", but since this is my fake, I'm unreasonably proud of it. There's probably a masters in psychology in there somewhere :lol:

Regards, John.
Attached Images

John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2005, 3:14 PM   #2

Nothing to be ashamed of. I think the image is really cool. I don't mind people dressing up a photo. It's all about art, isn't it? And something for the eye to behold. .....thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 3:42 PM   #3

Hi John! Kman is right, it is about the art, you have every right to be proud of this work! It is beautiful! Personally, I see nothing wrong with taking our own work and trying to create something more. Sometimes I am trying to be a photographer, and other times I'm trying to be a artist. You have shown you excell at both!

Bob H.
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 10:31 PM   #4

VERY cool photo work. i like the way the avocets are softly lit,whereas in a real sunset, they'd be just silhouettes. nice "ball o' fire", too!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 1:26 AM   #5

As opposed to those who believe that a photo should be an as accurate as possible re-creation of a scene, I'm with the camp that sees photos as a way of communicating/evoking feelings or emotions in the viewer...that's why I love this photo and don't mind a little manipulation in order to achieve that end.
goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 3:16 AM   #6

John, the models that appear in fashion magazines do not look like that in real life, they do have blemishes etc. they often can't walk in the dresses they are wearing for the shoot, etc..etc..and yet the pictures are accepted as real.

So : This pic is exceptionally good in my opinion, it really is a fantastic piece of artwork. No, it isn't as it was seen in real life, and I think the difference is that you have disclosed the fact that it is a compilationand not a single shot of a scene [at which point, if you did, you would need a single shot !!]

Thanks for sharing, and for inspiration to try similar stuff.

Regards

Jake
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 4:24 AM   #7

Thanks for all the kind comments guys, I appreciate that. I wasn't sure if such an obviously manipulated image was appropriate for this forum or not, looks like it is!

John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 4:29 AM   #8

I think the image works well.It's just good creative photography...nothin' wrong with that
Andrew
shaggydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 2:20 PM   #9

It's a beautiful photo. I don't see anything wrong with enhancing a photo unless you are doing photojournalism. In your case, you seem to be engaged in a more artistic pursuit. This is not trickery. Moreover, this is a plausible scene - it could be real. Therefore, I don't see any ethical issue with it. Besides, you were honest right from the start about your technique. Most pros use filters and other dark room techniques to enhance their photos too. Unless it's photojournalism that requires accurate historical documentation, use whatever means you have to make your photos as beautiful as possible.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 10:33 PM   #10

Well, since I offered the opinion, I guess i don't have to clarify my position. This is good work, and I think that it is more interesting than the original.
I find myself having to replace blown skies more than I would like, and the real bugger with that is getting rid of selection artifacts in intricate spaces -- like around and between foliage.
Any of you Photoshop wizards have a good method to either avoid such artifacts or a good fix if you've got 'em?
Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote