Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Oct 9, 2005, 2:00 PM   #1

View from Johnson Ridge. The facing side of the volcano fell off the monring of the eruption, and the blast went sideways in the direction of the camera. Note the growing lava dome in the crater. It's not done yet.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2005, 8:33 AM   #2

nice composition. i like it a lot. was that taken from Johnston Ridge, or the one right before it on the road to the observatory? the angle looks wrong for Johnston Ridge...

here's a closer look at that lava dome, from the observatory...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 3:03 PM   #3

Wow. An image out of Dante's Inferno. The dome is growing a lot faster than they expected, and the dacite is blocking off, falling down, and filling the crater. Should be a long time before it blows again, but who knows?

I didn't get to the observatory, but I did walk out on the trail along Johnson ridge. That was pretty interesting, but less spectacular. Here's the back side of where I took that picture, looking away from the crater.

The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 6:34 PM   #4

that whole area is very scenic. i have a panorama shot i took that includes the mountain itself, Spirit Lake, and even the tip of Mt. Adams in the background. unfortunately, the stitching software i have reduced the pixel count in the vertical axis to the point that the biggest print i could make is a 4x12". if i had more pixels, i'd love to do the same shot in an 8x24... it'd be quite impressive.

i was there this past July, shot a bunch of pics of the mountain from various points along the road, including the one i just posted here. from the image you posted, it looks like you were there in summer as well! i wonder how long it will take those hills to be forested again, like they were before the mountain blew its top...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote