Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 1, 2005, 6:12 PM   #1

This is from last night. Man it was cold! The wind was blowing. We're such wimps on the West Coast. -1 and I lose it.:?Cheers........thekman......ps: Here's the re-edited version. As the 2 Johns below indicated, I had some barrel distortion that was quite noticeable, so I free transformed and skewed it to get a better horizon. There still is some curvature, but not nearly as much as previously.........thekman
Attached Images

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2005, 2:49 AM   #2

Nice shot Kman

Think you got the exposure spot on. Is it just me, or is the horizon slightly skew on the right?

Do you have an image where the ship crosses into the light?
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 5:16 AM   #3

I like it, very atmospheric!

I'm with John Reid though: the horizon doesn't just go down to the right, it actually looks curved to me :O So.... assuming it's not the curve of the earth showing, I'm guess you may have a little lens distortion (barrell distortion from a wide angle lens?). Not a big deal though, it's still a picture.

John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 12:48 PM   #4

Thanks John and John. Yes, it does seem to be curving to the right, doesn't it? Must be the cheap kit lens I'm using. I'll see if I can fix it in ps. I'm hoping to get a better quality wide angle zoom in the near future, but will have to do with this lens for now. This photo really lost a lot of it's zip when I reduced it for posting. Some shots don't seem to do too badly when resizing, but others do. I think I'll try to reprocess this one for the web............thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 2:12 PM   #5

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks John and John. Yes, it does seem to be curving to the right, doesn't it? Must be the cheap kit lens I'm using. I'll see if I can fix it in ps. I'm hoping to get a better quality wide angle zoom in the near future, but will have to do with this lens for now. This photo really lost a lot of it's zip when I reduced it for posting. Some shots don't seem to do too badly when resizing, but others do. I think I'll try to reprocess this one for the web............thekman.
thekman: what colour space is the original in? I had the same problem, because most of my originals are Adobe-RGB, and if you don't convert to sRGB for posting in the correct manner then the colours just don't work right anymore. I posted an article on this but I can't find it anymore - recent posts don't seem to be indexed yet Anyway the trick is to create a blank sRGB document and paste the Adobe RGB content into it, that way Photoshop Elements will correctly convert the colour space correctly (if you're lucky enough to have a full version of Photoshop then there's an easier colour-space-conversion option somewhere).

HTH, John.

Old Dec 2, 2005, 2:27 PM   #6

John Maddock wrote:
Quote:
thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
thekman: what colour space is the original in? I had the same problem, because most of my originals are Adobe-RGB, and if you don't convert to sRGB for posting in the correct manner then the colours just don't work right anymore. I posted an article on this but I can't find it anymore - recent posts don't seem to be indexed yet Anyway the trick is to create a blank sRGB document and paste the Adobe RGB content into it, that way Photoshop Elements will correctly convert the colour space correctly (if you're lucky enough to have a full version of Photoshop then there's an easier colour-space-conversion option somewhere).
I found the orginal article, it's worth a look 'cos it shows how dramatic the effect can be: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...light=red+John