Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:37 PM   #1

Usually in winter, we have frequent outbreaks of cold, dry air which provide sunny days with crisp, blue skies, and that lends itself quite nicely to outdoor photography, especially pine forests,etc. Not this year though. Since December started I could count the amount of clear days we've had here in New York on one hand.
Doesn't look like 2006 will be any different, at least not this first week.
It's justbeen quite mild and cloudy. So how do you cope with lousy weather? I've tried doing photos of landscapes such as forests under cloudy skies but they always look dull to me. The only advantage cloudy weather gives is photography of flowers, which usually get blown out by bright sunshine. But it's winter, there's no flowers. I just want to get outside again, but the unusual pattern continues. California is really getting the brunt of this. RoseParade looks to be rained upon. That'll make for some interesting pictures, since there hasn't been rain on that parade in 51 years!

Our local NWS forecast here in NY:
Overnight: A chance of rain and snow showers. Cloudy, with a low near 32. North wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

NewYear's Day: Cloudy, with a high near 40. North wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. West wind around 6 mph.

Monday: Rain likely, mainly after 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 41. South wind between 6 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Monday Night: Rain likely. Cloudy, with a low around 36. East wind between 15 and 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Tuesday: Rain likely, mixing with snow after 1pm. Cloudy and breezy, with a high around 39. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Tuesday Night: Mostly cloudy and breezy, with a low near 33.

Wednesday: Partly cloudy, with a high around 42.

Wednesday Night: A chance of rain, mainly after midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 35. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Thursday: A chance of rain. Cloudy, with a high near 47. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Thursday Night: Cloudy, with a low around 34.

Friday: Cloudy, with a high around 43.

Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low near 31.

Saturday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 34.

pineywoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2006, 3:24 AM   #2

sounds like the weather forecast for this area from now till April! we get occasional clear days, but for the most part, we're in for about 4 months of gray, cold, drippy weather. what to do? turn to macros! everyday objects - even some of the things in your house - can become interesting subjects when photographed real close... gives you something to do, at least, till the weather gets better come spring...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 4:13 AM   #3

As well as macro and close ups try woodland scenes: if you can find locations where all you can see are mature trees (no sky) then these actually work best when it's overcast. Oh, and waterfalls can sometimes look good after rain - I say sometimes because really heavy flows of water can flatten out smaller falls - if that's the case then look for small streams that are in spate.

HTH,

John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 6:57 PM   #4

ya, I've been waiting for that crisp clear day after a fresh snow fall,but all we've had is wet snow/rain/overcast, hey it could always be worse, :-)
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 9:18 AM   #5

Piney, where is the shot?
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote