Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 11, 2003, 11:34 PM   #1

Default Zen Garden (2)

Picture (2) of the new Zen Garden at the Horticulture Centre of the Pacific in Victoria.

Steve6 was kind enough to say, of Zen Garden picture (1), that it was 'An ordinary scene competently photographed making the best of it.'

Well, Steve6, I take that as a very handsome compliment, but I think that the designer of the garden (he wasn't me by the way!) would have expected a comment more on the lines of picture (1) being 'a very ordinary picture of a superb example of the Zen Garden style'!

Anyway, here (again, if the link works) is an ordinary picture taken from a different angle -

http://www.pbase.com/image/14205871/original
Herb is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2003, 2:24 PM   #2

Quote:
but I think that the designer of the garden (he wasn't me by the way!) would have expected a comment more on the lines of picture (1) being 'a very ordinary picture of a superb example of the Zen Garden style'!
When the garden matures it may well be. But to me it looks empty and new. Neat and tidy is the best I can say about it. All gardens need to develop.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2003, 2:38 PM   #3

BTW I would saturate the colours in that one - they're a bit drab for my tastes - just my opinion.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 12:22 PM   #4

Default Zen

Steve6 - You're right about the garden being new. It was bare earth less than a year ago.

The designer would, I expect, be very pleased to hear your description of it as 'empty'. Zen is, I'm told, very keen on the concept of 'less is more'.

After reading your suggestion about a bit more saturation I tried it. It improved the pink flowers on the rhododendron, but as the flowers got better, the wall got worse & became unpleasantly intense. Maybe I kept overdoing it.

I can't say for sure whether my picture captures the wall's exact tint, but I've heard that when the wall was being stuccoed, the Zen experts were not all of quite the same mind about what shade or tint should be chosen. I think some of them thought it should have less of a mustard colour and to be more beige or something.
Herb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2003, 1:57 PM   #5

Saturation doesn't always work but I always try it. You do however have to be subtle as with a lot of post processing. One of the mistakes alot of people make (me too) is to go mad with the filters, sharpening, curves etc.