Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 14, 2006, 6:19 AM   #1

This is one of the first photos I had ever taken of something just because of the lighting. The sky was very cloudy and dark with just a sliver of sun shining on the horizon and it created what I thought was a really cool effect. I have spent all my life over looking so much, photography is helping me to look closer and try to really see what is before me. I love the way the light is hitting the light poles and buildings and creating shadows. This photo was taken from a quarter mile away at full zoom on my Oly 740.

Bob H.

Last edited by bhammitt; May 9, 2009 at 6:50 AM.
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2006, 6:36 AM   #2

Hello bhammitt.

Isn't it wonderful to return again and again to a fine photograph just like a fine painting to "learn" and "discern" more and more...:-)

The bridge you mentioned in other posts perhaps is one of your meccas too!

There is a lake in Washington state that I have hiked dozens of times. Its name is appropriate for the lake...

But this forum member digresses...

Your photo evokes in this forum member that immortal photograph of a small cemetery in New Mexico whose gravestone crosses were momentarily lit and Ansel Adams was there, at the moment, to capture it.

Your photo also makes me wonder...wonder who roofed the highest roof of your structure.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"You really are a fine photographer, bhammit.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 6:59 AM   #3

Thank you digcamfan! I always appreciate what you have to say in your posts whether it be on my photos or on others! Like you, I find myself wondering about the history and people connected to the photos people post here. This photo is of The Vermont Elevator, it is all that is left of a town that flourished during the middle to late 1800's. I enjoy visiting this place and looking at the empty field's around the elevator and imaging what it must have been like back in it's heyday. I am encouraged and honored by your kind words!

Bob
Old Jan 14, 2006, 12:33 PM   #4

Bob: I really really like that, and you were right about the light too. Only thing is, it looks so much like a plastic model kit :!: A very well made one mind you :lol:

Anyway I hope you don't mind the comparison!

John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 2:14 PM   #5

Hi John! Thank you, and I don't mind the comparison at all. It's quite funny really, I thought the same thing myself, I thought it looked like a plastic building from a model railroad layout. Here is the color version before cropping.

Bob

Last edited by bhammitt; May 9, 2009 at 6:50 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 2:42 PM   #6

Very nice. It's interesting how the quality of light can make a mundane subject beautiful.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 3:26 PM   #7

Thank you Ladyhawk!

Bob