Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 15, 2006, 3:16 AM   #1

Greetings all! Below I'll post 2 photos Tasmanian coastal landscapes fromlast time I was there (about a year ago). I currently live and work in Romania, as an international charity / mission worker... and although Romania is also a beautiful country (especially some mountain areas) there are still times I miss the landscapes of Tasmania, especially coastal scenes.

In another thread with some help from fellow posters, I rediscovered the power of cropping. Images from my point n shoot Fuji F601 can still create great landscapes, even if I didn't do compose it right at first, by cropping. Actually I'll post the uncropped photos below for comparison. Using ACDSee to crop and adjust exposure (work time about 1 or 2 minutes per photo) it's an improvement I think. What do you think?

And since I've now upgraded to a Canon Digital Rebel XT (350D) I'm learning more and more on that and look forward to my next trip to Tasmania.... However in the meantime Romania is also a good photography subject, as well as my beautiful fiancee (my totally unbiased opinion of course!) :?

So here they are below, and I'm happy to be sharing them with you. Your comments and constructive remarks are very welcome! Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2006, 3:19 AM   #2

1. Pacific Ocean (east coast of Tasmania) cropped / exposure adjusted.

Attached Images

Old Jan 15, 2006, 3:20 AM   #3

1b. Pacific Ocean (east coast of Tasmania) uncropped / original version

Attached Images

Old Jan 15, 2006, 3:21 AM   #4

2. Bass Strait (stretch of water between Tasmania and mainland Australia... notoriously rough at times, between Indian and Pacific ocean) cropped / exposure adjusted.
Attached Images

Old Jan 15, 2006, 3:22 AM   #5

2b. Bass Strait (stretch of water between Tasmania and mainland Australia... notoriously rough at times, between Indian and Pacific ocean) uncropped / original version.

Attached Images

Old Jan 15, 2006, 5:49 AM   #6

Hello pj1974! You have a excellent eye, I like both but the first is awesome, composure and exposure are right on!! You and your 350D are going to produce some great photos!

Bob H.
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 7:15 AM   #7

Cheers Bob!

I appreciate your kind comments very much. Actually I owe a lot to my Fuji F601 point and shoot camera, it's taken lots of photos I'm very pleased with. (including the two posted here) But yes, a digital SLR is much more powerful, has more possibilities. And as I'm learning I hope to share some with you all. Thanks for your positive feedback.

It's true, I love summer because I'm a warm weather and outdoors person... and generally find my photos (and mood) are better! (maybe that part of my Austraian character will always be in me) But still winter has some interesting photo opportunities too.

Have a good day Bob!

Paul
Old Jan 15, 2006, 10:47 AM   #8

Paul: I like those, and I can certainly see why you would miss scenery like that!

I think you've cropped those about right, the first one is especially nice, but maybe the second has come out a little too dark after your adjustments though? Other than that minor point, I look forward to seeing more from this lovely part of the world.

John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 12:24 PM   #9

Thanks for your comments John!

Maybe you're right the second one after exposure compensation is now a bit too dark... but it's hard with the various light levels in this shot (quite bright sea, sand and sky areas and then the darker hills too).... ahh that's the challenge!!

Yes, indeed Tasmania is a lovely part of the world for many reasons... I don't know when I'll be there again, maybe in about a year's time... we'll see (I hope to get married middle of this year to my fiancee in Romania, she's from Romania).

Bit of "local trivia" for you (devon)... did you know many parts of Tasmania are named after parts of England, especially the Cornwall and Devon areas (e.g. we have a Devonport, Plymouth, Launceston, Tamar river, etc, etc) I was born and grew up in Launceston Tasmania, but it's not at all similar to the Launceston in England. Launceston Tasmania is much bigger and many other differences. But of course it's interesting! (and I'm biased to say which one I prefer!)

Best wishes, have a good day John

Paul
Old Jan 16, 2006, 4:43 AM   #10

Paul: thanks to the internet I did know that parts of Tasmania were named after Devon and Cornwall, seems like ever time I do a web search for a local landmark I get hits for their Tasmanian counterparts as well!

Re: adjustments, have you tried the shadows/highlights tool? It's very effective at darkening highlights and lightening shadows without messing up the rest of the image.

HTH, John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote