Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 25, 2006, 12:44 AM   #11
Super Moderator

All pretty good shots.

I like #3 the most.

The composition is interesting because slightly unusual, but I think it certainly works.

The broad expanse of water gives sufficient colour and texture to provide a nice background to the bits of the photo where a lot more is going on.

I think the fact that different people are selecting different shots as favourites goes towards showing that it's a good set.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 12:53 AM   #12

Thanks Peripatetic - I hope you enjoyed that I placed these under the landscape forum and not the critiques forum, and if you look at the time posted, it was before your guidlines post

Thanks theBac too - could you be a bit more specific with the colours. I notice on my work monitor #3 has a slight magenta cast, but it looks fine and my home monitor and the print.
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 8:31 AM   #13

Hi John,

it's possible that my monitors are not calibrated, if it shows up fine in print. It's just a slight yellow cast in #4 and a slight magenta cast in #3.

Again, given that they look great in print, it's probably just my monitors and I should refrain from commenting on color casts until I fix them :-)

I do like all the boat pictures, it's just that there's four of them, so I started nitpicking.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 8:45 AM   #14

"I do like all the boat pictures, it's just that there's four of them, so I started nitpicking"

Please do nitpick, I didn't post these so that people could tell me what nice photos they were, I posted them expecting suggestions for improvement which I have received and am grateful for.

The fact that you and I have seen a magenta cast on uncalibrated monitors is worrying though as its possible that my home monitor which is calibrated correctly to the printer I use may be incorrectly calibrated for everything else.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 11:09 AM   #15

I certainly don't see a yellow cast in #4 on my admittedly uncalibrated notrebook.

In #3 there is a slight red/matgenta tinge to parts of the water, but I assumed it was supposed to be that way (seaweed maybe?)

HTH, John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 12:03 PM   #16

Hey John - I'm in for the first shot, it is good, in all aspects as Dustin has pointed out
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 11:57 PM   #17

Hey Jake, thanks for the comment. My DVD with RAW files from Malawi short be arriving tommorow. I took your advice on the fish eagles and feeding them and hopefully got some good shots.