Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:47 PM   #1

Hi everyone, I haven't posted for awhile because I haven't had much editing time lately, but here are a few from a Malawi trip I've managed to do...

#1 - Malawi dugout before sunrise
Attached Images

JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:49 PM   #2

#2 - Tropical Paradise

Probably my worst shot in the series, but it was such a mission to get up this far, I had to share the photo.
Attached Images

Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:50 PM   #3

#3 - Peace
Attached Images

Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:52 PM   #4

#4 - Dugout on a boat
Attached Images

Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:55 PM   #5

#5 - Peaceful morning

I'm in two minds about this shot. There is motion blur on the boat at at moved in the ripples. Does this spoil the shot?
Attached Images

Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:03 AM   #6

John, I like number 2 best. I like the framing through the leaves, it is crystal clear, sharp and the colours are absolutely gorgeous. Olike #3 next. The rule of the third is very well applied here. I feel I am in touch with those layers beginning from the water, mountain clouds and sky. Even the boat in number three is well place off centre. The picture generally gives a feel of profound peace. Kind regards. Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 4:22 AM   #7

Hi John, I wondered where you'd been and now we know! Looks like you had a good trip. I'm with Auma and like #2 a lot in spite of your reservations. The boat shots are all nice, although like you I have reservations about the last one: love the water, not sure about the boat. Maybe if the boat had been further from the camera so the motion blur was less obvious? Bit late to change it now I guess:-)

All round a good series, and good to see a part of the world that's completely new to me,

John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 4:30 AM   #8

Thanks John and Jaki.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The reason I don't particularly like shot 2 is that the shot was taken in peak daylight, so everything looks a bit flat. I do however have the advantage of seeing the un photoshopped version and thats maybe why I like it the least.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 9:12 AM   #9

Hi John,

the boat pictures all look great and have a certain feel of serenity to them (the isolation, the emptiness). I like #1 the best, #3 and #4 the colors seem slightly off, and #5 seems a bit soft.

I'm not a fan of #2 too much. I like the way the foreground frames the beach, but the branch in the middle of the picture seems to get in the way and detract from an otherwise nice capture.

Don't get me wrong, I like them all, just offering suggestions what might (or might not) make them better.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 5:51 PM   #10
Super Moderator

john, i really love that first shot.. the compositon is great, with the boat ont he left 1/3 and the shoreline placed nicely.. then the lovely blue background.. simply a wonderful travel/landscape shot.. i probably would have shot that exact shot had i been there.. so take that as a compliment if you want.. hehe..

the whole set is strong.. that was just my personal fav..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote