Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 9, 2006, 6:30 AM   #1

[size=Hi there][/size]

[size=][/size]

[size=I have been a constant visitor to this site and am very impressed with the quality of photography that forum members share with each other. My skills or equipment have not reached the same standards and that is why I am proposing this to any forum members.][/size]

[size=][/size]

[size=I am a lecturer in Management and I want to recreate the motivational posters that you see in many shops. However I want to do them with your and my prints. We have a facility at the college to make prints of A2 or A1 size. If anyone has a digital print of good quality that will match with the following management quotes (researched by my students), I would like to print them and display them in my classroom.][/size]

[size=][/size]

[size=FOR YOUR REASSURANCE][/size]

[size=][/size]

[size=Obviously I will print your copyright and/ or web site to ensure that receive credit for your work. ][/size]

[size=][/size]

[size=They will only be printed once.][/size]

[size=][/size]

[size=I will send you a picture of them displayed in the classroom.][/size]

[size=][/size]

[size=Please feel free to ask me any questions as this is a genuine request from a lecturer whose college does not have the funds to redecorate the classroom.][/size]

[size=][/size]

[size=The quotes I want to use are below. Do you have any Photos that would match/ convey the message in the quote?][/size]

[size=][/size]

[size=Jim Brown Lecturer in Management NEI, Ballymena N. Ireland][/size]

[size=][/size]
  1. [size=Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.][/size][/*]
  2. [size=Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.][/size][/*]
  3. [size=You cannot be a leader, and ask other people to follow you, unless you know how to follow, too.][/size][/*]
  4. [size=He who asks a question may be a fool for five minutes, but he who never asks a question remains a fool forever.][/size][/*]
  5. [size=You see things and say, 'Why?', but I dream things and say, 'Why not?'][/size][/*]
  6. [size=Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm.][/size]
[/*]

1. [size=A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.][/size]
[/*]

1. [size=If we do not change our direction, we are likely to end up where we are headed.
    Ancient Chinese Proverb][/size]
[/*]

1. [size=If I can see further than other men it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants.][/size][/*]
  2. [size=The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. ][/size]
[/*]
[size=][/size]
  1. [size=Man's mind stretched to a new idea never goes back to its original dimensions.][/size]
[/*]

1. [size=Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. ][/size]
[/*]

1. [size=Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right.][/size][/*]
  2. [size=If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.][/size][/*]
  3. [size=The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot.][/size]
[/*]

1. [size=Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right.][/size][size=][/size][/*]
  2. [size=There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly.][/size]
[/*]
[size=][/size]
  1. [size=The more I want to get something done, the less I call it work.][/size][/*]
  2. [size=One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.][/size][/*]
  3. [size=Kites rise highest against the wind - not with it.][/size][/*]
  4. [size=Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.
    Japanese Proverb][/size]
[/*]

1. [size=We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.][/size]
[/*]
[size=][/size]
  1. The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining.[/*]
jim1brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2006, 9:13 AM   #2

Hmmmm, welcome to the forum. Quite a challenge. But will think about it. Regards. Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 1:19 PM   #3

Hi Jaki. Congratulations you are my first reply! Yes it is a challenge but isn't that what motivates us. I am attaching a photo I have used myself. It is taken in Side ,Turkey where I have an apartment. I used acasio Pro 600. It shows the Temple of Apollo at dusk.I am not sure if the caption is totally appropriate but you get the general idea.

The caption reads...

[align=center]If I can see further than other men, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants[/i][/b].[/align]

[align=left]Thanks[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]Jim[/align]
Old Feb 9, 2006, 1:35 PM   #4

Hi there,

Predictably for a newcomer I have just read the instructions for uploading photos ...after uploading too large a file. I will try again.

Jim
Attached Images

Old Feb 9, 2006, 5:30 PM   #5

:?I am curious about all the [size= ] inserts. What does that all mean?
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 11:07 PM   #6

not sure if this is the kind of thing you're after, but here are a couple of possibilities... these are, of course, small files that wouldn't print at anywhere near the sizes you're considering, but i have the originals, and can provide those with sufficient resolution to print a 16x20 or perhaps 18x24 image...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:11 AM   #7

Jim, I now have the idea from your post and what others have posted will see what I can contribute...Regards Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 2:06 AM   #8

Hi squirl033

WOW these are excellent. I liked both of them. Great technique and eye for composition. Thanks a million for your work.

The beautiful landscape is a possibility for the caption

You see things and say, 'Why?', but I dream things and say, 'Why not?'

If I can see further than other men it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants.

What do you think?

The one with the birds is a possibility for a Teamwork poster. It would be better if you had one of geese in the V formation ( or anyone else). I could match it to the following:

Lessons From Geese
FACT 1:

As each goose flaps its wings it creates an "uplift" for the birds that follow. By flying in a "V" formation, the whole flock adds 71% greater flying range than if each bird flew alone.

LESSON:

People who share a common direction and sense of community can get where they are going quicker and easier because they are traveling on the thrust of one another.

FACT 2:

When a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of flying alone. It quickly moves back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird immediately in front of it.

LESSON:

If we have as much sense as a goose we stay in formation with those headed where we want to go. We are willing to accept their help and give our help to others.

FACT 3:

When the lead goose tires, it rotates back into formation and another goose flies to the point position.

LESSON:

It pays to take turns doing the hard tasks and sharing leadership. As with geese, people are interdependent on each other's skills, capabilities and unique arrangements of gifts, talents or resources.

FACT 4:

The geese flying in formation honk to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.

LESSON:

We need to make sure our honking is encouraging. In groups where there is encouragement, the production is much greater. The power of encouragement (to stand by one's heart or core values and encourage the heart and core of others) is the quality of honking we seek.

FACT 5:

When a goose gets sick, wounded or shot down, two geese drop out of formation and follow it to help and protect it. They stay with it until it dies or is able to fly again. Then, they launch out with another formation or catch up with the flock.

LESSON:

If we have as much sense as geese, we will stand by each other in difficult times as well as when we are strong.

Take care

Jim
Old Feb 10, 2006, 2:22 AM   #9

Hi Kanon

I'm sorry that is very offputting. I typed this in a word document and copy and pasted it to the forum. When the [size=] inserts came up I presumed that was some kind of formatting that this site used and, when posted, it would omit it. I suppose it will have to stay...unless you know of a way to edit the original.

Jim
Old Feb 10, 2006, 8:41 AM   #10

thanks for the compliments, Jim... unfortunately, the geese didn't cooperate with the traditional "V" formation... i wish they had! that would really have improved the shot, although to be honest, i was more interested in the sunset than the birds at the time!

i'll let you pick the caption best suited for these, though the fact that there are birds in the first pic doesn't necessarily mean you must use a caption about birds, and if it were my choice, i'd pick a philosophical one, rather than a fact... just seems to suit the mood of the picture better, IMHO.

if you choose to use one or both of these, PM me, and we can arrange to get the full-resolution files to you. there would be a small copyright notice in an unobtrusive place, but other than that, the images would be as you see here, with no cropping or other changes, though of course larger. depending on the size poster you want, it may be necessary to upsize the images a bit to produce a good print; let me know what size you need, and i'll make sure the photo resolution is adequate.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote