Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 11, 2006, 12:08 AM   #1

Snoqualmie River, just east of Seattle, WA, USA... on a clear day, even the drabness of winter seems to vanish!

Attached Images

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2006, 2:49 AM   #2

Hi squirl033, a LOVELY shot - great scene for a beautiful photo! Well done! The contrast between the water, trees, mountain and sky makes a great nature feel! And I agree a photo like this makes winter seem less depressing!

I know this is not the critiques section, but I just felt to make a few comments. For me, this photo seemed better served with a centre crop, to bring out those lovely mountains in the background (there seems too much "wasted" tree / river area compared to it). Also the sky (particularly at left) seems rather overexposed. And even the water wouldn't hurt being a bit darker. So I dropped down the brightness a bit, and made the crop - here it is below. Hope that's ok.... (you have enough brightness in the trees, etc to make it a bit darker without loosing detail). |Also those nearer-by rocks on the left in your photo IMHO distract rather than add to the "flowing river" feel.

But maybe I'm wrong and your original photo is the best, just a thought from me. However whatever the outcome, you've captured a great landscape moment... well done and please keep posting, I enjoy looking at your photography.

Regards, Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 4:59 AM   #3

Morning squirl! You are right, no drabness here. Beautiful shot, isn't it amazing what a little sunshine can do on a winter day! I tend to like wider shots on landscapes so I have to say the original is my favorite.

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 10:22 AM   #4

Nice image Squirrel033! I do likePaul's idea of some minor cropping to center the mountains, but not too much. Don't wantto loose that wide landscape feel. The exposure looks fine to me. Were you using a polarizer?
mhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 4:26 PM   #5

yes, i had a polarizer on. didn't do as much as it would have if the sun were higher, but at 4PM in February here, the sun is pretty low in the sky, so the polarizer's effect was minimal.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 7:29 PM   #6

I figured you were from the rich brown tones in the trees and the absence of sky reflection on the water. That is beautiful country BTW, and one of the few states I have never visited.
mhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 9:28 PM   #7

Squirel, I would definitely put the original on my wall. Nice exposure. Just a question. Can someone use the polorizer other than when the sun is in the sky? I.E. on a bright day? Regards. Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 11:36 PM   #8

Aumma45 wrote:
Quote:
Squirel, I would definitely put the original on my wall. Nice exposure. Just a question. Can someone use the polorizer other than when the sun is in the sky? I.E. on a bright day? Regards. Jaki.
Jaki, you can use a polarizer any time - no need for the sun. it will reduce or eliminate reflections from water, glass, leaves, almost any non-metallic surface, whether the sun's out or not. it also tends to deepen contrast and increase saturation. the only disadvantage is that it will usually slow you down about 2 stops, and if it's not apretty bright day, that can cause problems with slow shutter speeds... in a pinch, it can replace a 2-stop neutral density filter for deliberately slowing shutter speeds.

Old Feb 17, 2006, 10:53 AM   #9

Very nice photo. The crop is also good, but the original works well as is.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 9:54 PM   #10

Thanks Squirel, have benefitted from your comments always. Regards. Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote