Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 26, 2006, 1:11 PM   #11

daclick wrote:
Quote:
Thats a very nice photo Lin, the moonlit shot especially.

What shutter speed did you end up using to get that shot?

You mention that a dSLR would be far better for long exposure, I have no experience with dSLR's but I used to take night stuff around London with my Panasonic FZ10 (until it was stolen).

Now I'm looking for a camera to take great low light long exposure pictures and would like to get into moonlit shots. I have been leaning towards another stablized lens model such as the Nikon 8800, Olympus C-8080 or the FZ30.

Any suggestions / advice you can offer me?
The exposure was three minutes - the longest possible with the R1. Yes, many of the newer dSLR's can handle very, very long exposures with much less noise being displayed. I would really not suggest exposures longer than a few seconds with the 8800, 8080 or FZ30. I don't have the FZ30 but I do have the FZ10 and FZ20. The noise levels are just too high for exposures longer than a few seconds. The R1 does very well up to 30 seconds but begins to generate a good deal of noise which gets progressivly worse. At three minutes, even with the dark frame subtraction the noise levels are such that considerable post processing is necessary.

In addition, when trying to do moonlight exposures it's nearly impossible to see the frame without switching the flash mode to "external" which forces the aperture to F2.8 at full wide angle. You can then attempt to frame and switch back to manual and use manual focus at infinity for the shot. It's not simple and autofocus simply won't work in the super dim moonlight even with a full moon.

With a dSLR you can actually see to frame and see enough to focus manually without relying on infinity to get a decent focus. For this type shot the dSLR is simply far and away the better choice.

The R1 is a fantastic camera, and the EVF/LCD offers many advantages for certain types of photography over the optical viewfinder, but for this type shot it's just not the "cat's meow" LOL .

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 3:08 PM   #12

Hi Lin,

Wow, you've done a great job with that! I never new you could get such interesting colours out of a night shot, even at such long exposures! You've taught me a thing or two, and now I'm keen to test it out myself one time... though I must admit I do want to wait for warmer weather to try it... I'm NOT a lover of cold weather - I'm originally from Australia! (and here in Romania it's plenty cold enough to be called "freezing!").

But back to your photo, the colours in the night exposure are so much milder and in a sense more inviting (at least that's my personal opinion) than the day photo.Thanks for sharing your techniques!

Best wishes

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 3:53 PM   #13

Whoa...except for scant star trails your moonlight photo could be mistaken for a daylight shot!

Super, Lin Evans
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:47 PM   #14

Pretty view, nice shots. I like the first better. Did you change the camera settings between the two shots as far as exposure goes or the camera did it automaticallybased onthe focal distance?
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:08 PM   #15

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Pretty view, nice shots. I like the first better. Did you change the camera settings between the two shots as far as exposure goes or the camera did it automaticallybased onthe focal distance?
LOL - the first shot was a three minute exposure by moonlight at 9:00 pm - the second was made a couple days earlier in the middle of the morning.

Best regards,

Lin
Old Mar 1, 2006, 2:02 PM   #16

Lin Evans wrote:
[/quote]
I would really not suggest exposures longer than a few seconds with the 8800, 8080 or FZ30. I don't have the FZ30 but I do have the FZ10 and FZ20. The noise levels are just too high for exposures longer than a few seconds. The R1 does very well up to 30 seconds but begins to generate a good deal of noise which gets progressivly worse.* At three minutes, even with the dark frame subtraction the noise levels are such that considerable post processing is necessary.

The R1 is a fantastic camera, and the EVF/LCD offers many advantages for certain types of photography over the optical viewfinder, but for this type shot it's just not the "cat's meow"* LOL .

Lin
[/quote]

I think I've found the camera for me - the KM Maxxum (Dynax over here) 7D.

I think this ticks all the boxes - a dSLR with anti-shake (like my FZ10 had) and I have yet to read a bad word about this camera.

What do you think?
daclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 2:06 PM   #17

[/quote]
---------------------------

I think I've found the camera for me - the KM Maxxum (Dynax over here) 7D.

I think this ticks all the boxes - a dSLR with anti-shake (like my FZ10 had) and I have yet to read a bad word about this camera.

What do you think?

---------------------------

Though I've not used this camera myself, everything I've heard would indicate that you're right, it's a very nice package indeed.

Best regards,

Lin[/quote]
Old Mar 1, 2006, 3:33 PM   #18

My understanding is that Minolta is getting out of the digital camera business. Sony apparently is taking over andis already manufacturing lenses for existing Minolta cameras.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 6:44 PM   #19

It's a shame they are quitting the camera business but who knows? Perhaps the consumer will benefit in the end with Sony taking over.

For myself I don't see that much of a problem, there seem to be a load of lenses on the 2nd hand market. Repairs could be an issue, just hope they have this covered.

Now I need to find one in Europe.......
daclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 9:00 AM   #20

Very nice

Andrew
shaggydoo is offline   Reply With Quote