Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 24, 2006, 11:34 PM   #11

randall wrote:
Quote:
I like what I think you intended on #1, but the composition seems a little too heavy/busy on the left side of the frame. Neat idea -I wonder if you have another opportunity to return and attempt a different comp?
Returning is not a problem; this is my back yard. What is more difficult to reproduce is the lighting conditions/waves/snow cover, etc. For what it's worth, I do have several variations on this theme which do not match this for overall tone. I did try a couple of crops of the original, but they left me feeling a little underwhelmed. I guess I'll just have to take note of your (quite valid) critique and try again when the conditions warrant. Thanks for the look.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 3:56 AM   #12

for me the 2nd one works best, i think its a great shot ........nice work !
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 9:59 AM   #13

Reanimator wrote:
Quote:
for me the 2nd one works best
Thanks for the comments. For the second shot, I would have preferred a vantage of about two feet higher to emphasize the shadows, but it wasn't to be. (I never forgave my mother for marrying a short man.:-))

Randall, I tried a version of the first one with a contrast mask over the tree; (cropping didn't help) it does lighten things up a little. Thanks for the suggestion (I know you were more concerned with the composition, not the tone, but it does seem to help.)

These shots are virtually unaltered; I'm working at this stage to try to capture as nearly a finished product as possible when I click the shutter. (I'm definitely NOT Ansel Adams reincarnate:roll It takes a little longer to set shots up, and some more complex exposures are still beyond me. Shooting film, I am without the luxury of a preview screen,and I definitely get some surprises when I pick up my shots, but I am enjoying the challenge immensely.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Old Feb 28, 2006, 6:33 PM   #14

Hi Tom, I too agree with Bob. There is something about the ocean on the first photo that makes it powerful. Or perhaps it's the arch in front of it, can't quite figure out. Very, very nice.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 7:22 PM   #15

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Hi Tom, I too agree with Bob. There is something about the ocean on the first photo that makes it powerful. Or perhaps it's the arch in front of it, can't quite figure out. Very, very nice.
The light on that day was very unusual. I have some colour shots I took with my Kodak digicam that show some really unusual tones.

About the arch... it was one of the first things I added when we moved to the lake. Totally unneccesary (nothing will grow on it) but somehow it seemed manditory. This one item has played a major or minor role in many of my pictures.

Thanks for the comments.

Regards,

Old Mar 1, 2006, 4:39 PM   #16
VP

I especially like thecontrast of snow and bare trees in B & W. The first one is very interesting....even tho I get the feeling of being swamped. Brrrr...

Although I am not a cold weather person I do enjoy these types of scenes.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote