Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 10, 2006, 3:18 AM   #1
rey

I really wish I had a camera with a wide angle lens for this trip...
Attached Images

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:54 AM   #2

pretty shot of Wizard Island. you could also use panorama maker software and stitch a couple together to get a wider view...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 1:55 PM   #3
rey

Thanks for the comment.

I actually have different shots I tried stitching together, but I couldn't get the sky to blend together. I used an old 2MP camera for this trip, so the pics are not the best quality. A week ago I posted a panoramic pic, on the lens section of this forum, that I quickly stitched together. I'm new to photo editing, so I need to practice more.

Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:07 AM   #4
E.T

Crater Lake aka caldera of "ex" Mt. Mazama...
Biggest "bang" in Cascades for last couple million years.
http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2002/fs092-02/

That would be damn nice place to visit... such beautiful place.

Just select satellite instead of map and zoom into it... and while at it you can check St. Helens
http://maps.google.com/
That site really gives new meaning for seeing Earth so I suggest "browsing" through continents using it.

rey wrote:
Quote:
I actually have different shots I tried stitching together, but I couldn't get the sky to blend together.
That would require locking exposure in camera while taking part-shots.
While some stitching software can somewhat soften color difference best working way is definitely locking exposure.

Because of wide dynamic range best would be to use exposure bracketing and make three different panoramas and then combine those using for example this.
I might need big memory card for that trip.:-)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:36 PM   #5

rey

when i first looked at the solo shot i thought it was pretty good but was sure it didnt show, or give a full impression of the view

the panoramic........well thats totaly a different shot.......no way could u do that justice with a solo shot

id be willing to give it a go at joining the shots for you......giving it my best go anyway, i have a site with some on www.hd7.co.uk if u would like for me to have a go for you just get in touch

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 1:54 PM   #6
rey

Thanks for input guys.

E.T: Thanks for the advice. The pictures were actually taken with an old 2MP P&S with no possible settings other than WB. I did try to sharpen just Wizard Island using Photoshop.

There was a forest fire nearby (caused by a lightning), when I went there, so the smoke created a haze that affected the sharpness.

Last year I went up to Northwest and checked out a few National Parks up there, including Mt St Helen and Mt Rainier. You can checkout the details of that trip Reanimator: Thanks for the offer, I actually found a stitching software that someone in the forum mentioned. I tried it and, though it's not perfectly, it's clearly better than what I got before.

Here are other shots using that software. I didn't crop-out the black spaces since the pictures were tightly taken to begin with.

Attached Images

Old Mar 11, 2006, 1:56 PM   #7
rey

This one was taken during sunset, I like the more orangy tone, but the haze created by the forest fire was more obvious.

Attached Images

Old Mar 11, 2006, 2:01 PM   #8
rey

This one was taken on the water level. It was a long hike down and we had planned to take a boat around the lake, but the trip was cancelled due to lightning storm.

If you look just above the crater horizon, near right-center, you can actually see the column of smoke from the forest fire nearby.

Attached Images

Old Mar 11, 2006, 2:03 PM   #9
rey

This last one was taken from a vista point with a near-90-degree angle, so it shows more of the water. Because the lake is tightly confined, the water is really blue and relatively calm.

Attached Images

Old Mar 11, 2006, 3:09 PM   #10
E.T

rey wrote:
Quote:
I actually found a stitching software that someone in the forum mentioned.* I tried it and, though it's not perfectly, it's clearly better than what I got before.
Now that's really good for automatic program, what's its name if someone asks easy Panorama stitching software.

What haze?
That hasn't seen any haze when compared what it looked here in hot summers more than five years ago when that east "comrade" had some good fires going on...
At best forest couple hundred meters away looked that hazy (visibility not much longer than couple miles) and it could last as long as hot weather lasted.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote