Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 27, 2006, 4:00 PM   #1

Hello all!

Here is a photo of yesterday (Sunday evening's) sunset in Romania when I was up in the mountains. When I took this photo I was consciously aware of "the golden mean" theory I had read about relating to photography (e.g. http://www.photozone.de/4Technique/c...goldenmean.htm), basically part of the theory connected with the "rule of thirds" application.

And I felt quite happy when I saw the result on my home computer 24 hours later. The setting sun was casting a lowly glow on the clouds, contrasting the differing layers of clouds (I could make out at least 3) and the foreground mountains obviously sillhouetted (spelling?) by this bight background spectacle!

So yes I liked the way the various clouds, sloping mountain ridge formed the intersecting slighly diagonal lines which I thought would make for an interesting "rule of thirds" / "golden mean" photo outcome... Often nature provides the best set up just by itself!

Hope you like it.... Do let me know your thoughts / comments!

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2006, 5:30 PM   #2

It seems you had a very prolific weekend for your image bank, Paul :-)
You've captured one of my favourite views in the mountains, when the tree silhouttes, like that of Appache warriors, border the countours of the surrounding hills..
Here's my attempt in order to attain a more dramatic golden glow. Hope you'll like it, too.
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 6:28 PM   #3

Hello Paul! Very nice work! Thank you for providing that link, very interesting reading! I am enclosing a link below for you to check out, I think this photo might be a good candidate for this technique. I am giving this a try.

Bob

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...blending.shtml

bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 2:51 AM   #4

Greetings Bahadir,

Indeed it was a productive weekend both for some photography and personal enjoyment of nature with my fiancee. You immediately caught on to the reason I liked that photo.... "tree silhouttes, like Appache warriors" with a beautiful sky as background / backdrop!

When I posted the photo last night I was perhaps being too conservative in the colours... I just didn't want to overdo it and get rapped on the knuckles for overkill. But I think in the cooler light of day your brighter edit brings out the colours I wanted more. Again thanks.

Paul
Old Mar 28, 2006, 2:57 AM   #5

Hi Bob!

Thanks for your comments and appreciation. Indeed you are right this photo was a good candidate for a layering technique, though to be honest I've never done editing using layers... ("yet"... he says!)

The link you gave from the Luminous Landscape is exactly what I needed to get the technique in a nutshell... and with practise I hope I'll be able to use it to my advantage. Actually I'd heard and read of this technique in other places, but never bold enough to try it ("yet"!) :roll:

Silly me brought my tripod 300kms to my fiancee's homeon Friday evening and then forgot to bring it on Sunday the 30kms to the nature area / mountain area where we went for a Sunday afternoon walk!! Silly me (again!)

Otherwise I might well have done a few panoramas and indeed maybe even thought to do a bracketed exposure and tried this layer approach with a few more "high contrast" images. But I guessed my handholding ability wouldn't produce a steady / perfect enough match... But maybe I'm wrong..

So I'll have to try later. (next time!) Thanks again Bob!

Paul
Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:46 AM   #6

Nice photo and nice editing. Thanks for the link too. I've emailed it to my home computer so that I can bookmark it there. That's my primary photo computer. I'm at work now, and can only do really basic stuff here. I occasionally have to do some photo stuff for work too, so I actually can justify having some freeware on the computer.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 3:44 PM   #7

Thanks for looking LadyhawkVA!

Glad you like the photo..and full credit to Bahadir for the accurate and pleasing edit!

Yes, I think you are not the only one who does the "sending of details from work computer to home computer" to balance things out, etc. I do a fair bit of photography work (reports containing photos, photo slideshows for presentatios, submitting photos for magazines, calendars, etc) for my work (charity organisation in Romania) - so that's how I get away with having graphic editing and viewing software installed on both my work and home computers.... but also my home computer (desktop) is my main "photo machine".

Best wishes

Paul
Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:38 PM   #8

Paul, you just can't know how many western movies it took for me to catch such a reason to like about, as in your photo :G
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:08 AM   #9

Another beauty, Paul.Great capture, well balanced and perfectly composed!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 2:56 AM   #10

Bahadir,

Western movies.... come to think of it I haven't seen one for years (I guess at least 10 years). Though of course some typical images of westerns are seared into our minds permanently....

It would be a lovely place to visit (the "wild West") one day... of course with a camera. Thanks again for your communiques.

Paul