Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:34 PM   #11

Lovely shot , as always John.

Do you have any advice to taking these kinds of shots in fairly bright light? I have often wanted to take these long-exposure shots of moving water, but I am foiled because the light is too bright and I can't get a small enough apeture to match the long shutter speed. I feel like I need sunglasses for my camera!

Ollie :-)
Ollie@Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:28 PM   #12

The simplicity is stunning. Regards. Jaki
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 4:48 AM   #13

Thanks for all the comments!

Ollie: taking these in bright light is hard: I use a polariser and a 4x neutral density filter and that's still insufficient to bring the exposure down long enough in bright light. In fact this shot was actually taken in the rain (what else but water would you take in the rain?), so the exposure was quite long even without the filters. With them I can get 4 to 6 second exposures provided you're somewhere fairly gloomy to begin with :-) One idea I've had, but not tried in the field yet is to use a pair of polarising filters: if these are set at 90 degrees to each other they let no light through, and at 0 degrees they let it all through. So somewhere in between you should be able to get any exposure you want no matter what the daylight is like.

However...... in bright sunlight the reflections off the water's surface can be orders of magnitude brighter than the surrounding countryside, especially off white water. Most cameras just can't cope with that kind of contrast unfortunately.

Hope this helps, John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 9:54 AM   #14
PvB

This shouldn't be here, but on your living room wall or in a nature magazine:G

Very nice
PvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 3:07 PM   #15

Lovely shot. The rock colors and flowing water are gorgeous.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 12:17 AM   #16

Thanks for the technical tips John. Sounds like I'm in the market for a neutral density filter. The crossed polarizer theory might just work too (providing you don't get any coloured interference patterns that you get when you put materials between 2 polarising lenses).

Cheers,
Ollie
Ollie@Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:34 AM   #17

Lovely photo John, and cheers for the interesting technical tips!

I reckon we should also put pressure on DSLR makers to provide cameras starting with ISO 10 (yes TEN!) coz that would allow us super long exposures for bright situations! Very handy in water shots like these.... What do you think?

But of course at the long / high end, they should still be "fairly noiseless" going up to at least ISO 6400! How about it? :-)

Maybe still technology of hte FUTURE!!??:?

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 12:25 PM   #18

Thanks for the comments again.

Paul: Yes please to ISO 10 :-)

Actually given that most film photographers are quite happy with ISO 50 (there was almost a revolt when Velvia changed from 50 to 100 ISO), I'm amazed that digital cameras don't go lower.

I suspect however that there is a good technical reason behind it: any given sensor will have a "native" ISO rating, trying to go lower will just saturate the electronics. Given that there will be a limit to how far above the "native" rating you can go (due to noise) I don't see sensors like this any time soon. Indeed the industry seems to be pushing towards higher and higher speeds, and I must admit they would come in handy some of the time!

John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 4:51 PM   #19

John,

As far as my knowledge of the technical stuff behind ISO goes, what you wrote is what I have known (in sketchy detail) so far. So yes, hopefully one day we'll have that ISO 10....

:-)

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote