Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Apr 18, 2006, 3:42 AM   #1

For all the pros and newbies, anyone can help me with tips on how to get lightening on film? How to get the focus in place, and predict the location of a good sized bolt of lightening? also, to get the light and white balance correct? help and tips appreciated!

cheers

adnanbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2006, 5:03 AM   #2

well what id do is stick camera on a tripod, point in general direction of storm and start taking long exposure shots, length of time would deepend on a night storm of daytime storm, u mention film so its more guess work than digital as u can see results for exposure straight away and can adjust as needed

u will eventualy catch the lightning as it happens, thats the general idea behing it, u wont get shots stood there with cam in hand watching then trying to point and shoot, those who shoot lightnign a lot will take many 100's of pictures
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 9:59 AM   #3

It is pretty easy at night if your camera isn't a simple point and shoot. Put it on a tripod and just keep taking long exposures with the focus set on infinity. You extend the exposure time with a small aperture.

It is trickier in the daytime. I think a neutral density filter and a small aperture (large number) might help keep the shutter open longer, but it is usually just a matter of luck and persistence. In the daytime digital is much better than film as you can take a couple hundred shots at no cost for film and developing.

You mention both film and white balance so I have no idea what you are using.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 2:07 PM   #4
E.T

If you want to try getting day lightnings that's very hard because you can use only short exposures.

But you could get help from these.
http://www.solorb.com/elect/lightning/index.html
http://www.astro.uni-bonn.de/~kbagschi/blitze.shtml
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:50 PM   #5

As far as lightning goes... Set focus to infinity and set the aperature to as tight as it will go and then experiment... The slower your film the longer you can leave your shutter open. I have taken pictures of lightning at night lens open for ~ 30 seconds or more - up to a several minutes and daytime w/ lens open for ~ 15 seconds. Of course a manual shutter release helps - Oh yes - so does a tripod...

Here is a shot I took last week w/my D50 (digital) at night - Nikon D50

Lens: 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 G
Focal Length: 18mm
Exposure Mode: Manual
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
30 sec - F/16
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 400
Oh yes - and this shot is very cropped - the lightning that night was not predicatable as to where it was firing so I had my lens open to it's widest angle... In other words - you are only seeing 1/2 of the picture...

Practice - try photographing a lit candle in a dark room, photograph cars on the street at night, take pictures of things at night - it's not too hard...
Attached Images

joeybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:03 AM   #6

Here is one more - same night/same settings - enhanced (looks grainy) and cropped...
Attached Images

joeybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 6:21 AM   #7

Thanks a lot everyone, and yes, i also got a M410R, with variable shutter speeds, that can be used to take similar pics. The problem, i guess, is that it can only open the shutter for 8secs max. Thanks for all the tips

cheers

adnanbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 8:22 AM   #8

8 seconds shouldnt be much of a prob, just means u may have to take more pics
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote