Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old May 3, 2006, 10:48 AM   #1

This is the best shot from my first attempt at shooting the moon. 300D, 75-300USMII @ 300, 1/400 at f5.6, ISO 400. It was taken handheld, raw, and processed with RawShooter. Uprezzed with Irfanview and cropped. What do you think?

wylie-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2006, 12:41 PM   #2

seems a bit dim and murky... perhaps a longer exposure would help. 1/400 is a bit fast, even for a bright, full moon; for a crescent, i'd recommend more like 1/125. see this post for the results at 1/125... this was a JPEG shot, processing consisted of cropping, noise reduction, and a bit of sharpening, all in Irfanview.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=8

also,yourimagelooks a bit oversharpened. it's tough to get clear details on something 240,000 miles away, especially if the air isn't crystal clear, and it's a balancing act to get maximum detail without overdoing the sharpening and making the image look overprocessed.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 8:46 PM   #3

I'd be smiling if i could pull off a moon shot this nice!
drewaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 11:50 PM   #4

Thanks for the comments. I would have liked a bit slower shutter speed, but with no IS, and handheld, they were coming out a bit blurred. I'll have another go when I have my tripod handy though.
wylie-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 12:17 AM   #5

wylie-c wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the comments. I would have liked a bit slower shutter speed, but with no IS, and handheld, they were coming out a bit blurred. I'll have another go when I have my tripod handy though.
i fee;l your pain! a tripod is a must for shots like these. even with IS, moon shots come out blurry handheld. a steady base and a remote release (or the self-timer) will help you immensely! :G
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 12:23 AM   #6

I think the overall quality of your picture is pretty good, considering the circumstances. The moon looks sharp with no purple or green fringing. You did good in my book!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote