Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old May 27, 2006, 7:51 PM   #1

took these last year on a visit to Mt. St. Helens, which is an active volcano about 125 miles southeast of where i live. it was fogged in, but i think these have more impact in B&W anyway. the trees have opnly barely begun to grow back, andeven after 26 years much of the area still looks like a moonscape. i was struck by the visual dissonance of this perfect, newly paved road running through a devastated landscape...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2006, 10:11 PM   #2
Log

squirl... before i start let me just say that i truly am amazed by all of your phtographs and they make me want to learn more and more and I admire you with the utmost respect... here was a quick edit (still not sure where i stand on it though) added som contrast toyed barely with levels and then noise red. to soften the immage... any thoughts on it... hope you don't mind...i think it made it look a bit... moodier?

regards

Logan

Attached Images

Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 12:10 AM   #3

Cool images! Although you did a great job changing the originals to B&W, I think the scenes would be more dramatic in color. But then again...it's hard to say. Perhaps you can post the colored versions as well!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 1:55 AM   #4

no problem, Log... actually, the area was so fogged in the day i was there, the scene was very soft and misty to begin with.clouds were actually drifting through the valleys as we drove up themountain.i tried upping the contrast andsharpnessa little myself, but decided thesomewhat hazy, mistyimage was closer to the way it looked...

Tullio, i'll see if i can find any color shots. i think most of them got lost in the shuffle, and i only saved the ones i wanted... i purposely did them in B&W because between the fog and the blasted terrain, somehow black & white just fit better...

Old May 30, 2006, 9:50 AM   #5
E.T

You're right, that brand new looking road really doesn't fit to that landscape.
I guess that could be called as cruel beauty, on its own way that devastated landscape is quite beautiful.

I should really visit that place sometime... damn, couple moths would be propably very easy to spend in going through all interesting places. (so try to keep your country in such shape that getting there stays easier than into North Korea)

This shows really nicely what happened trees closer to volcano:
http://www.volcano.si.edu/world/tpga...s&photo=028069

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/..._eruption.html
http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/...framework.html

E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 9:36 PM   #6

I can't believe it still looks like this! I was there 18 years ago and it looked the same!! I remember I was amazed at how vast the area was - miles and miles and miles of deadness!
tigerwings1st
tigerwings1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 10:58 AM   #7

here are some color shots from my visit there last summer...

Old May 31, 2006, 5:30 PM   #8

Well! Glad to see a little color coming back. Always enjoy your photos,

tigerwings1st
tigerwings1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 12:09 PM   #9

Squirl, in your shots of the mountain, what lense and zoom length were you using? I'm afraid that if I take the time to make my way up there, my 18-55mm lense may not be able to get close enough (from the observatory, I believe it is about 5 miles away).
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 1:17 PM   #10

Justin Hancock wrote:
Quote:
Squirl, in your shots of the mountain, what lense and zoom length were you using? I'm afraid that if I take the time to make my way up there, my 18-55mm lense may not be able to get close enough (from the observatory, I believe it is about 5 miles away).
yep, Johnston Ridge is almost 5 miles from the crater. i was using my Panasonic FZ20 for those shots. you need about 400mm equivalent to get "inside the crater", so unfortunately, your 18-55 won't do that for you, but it will give you some nice panoramic views like these - even the last shot was only taken at about 70mm equivalent, and your 18-55 will giveyou about 88mm on a 1.6 crop factor body.